fifteen

Chloe

Flashback

"Chloe?" My mum called from somewhere in the house.

"Yeah, mom?" My sixteen year old self replied.

"Your father should be home soon, go clean up your room."

"Why? Why do I have to clean my room when it's just dad coming home?"

My dad had left a week ago to go on a business trip. He works for this company named boeing, I don't know much about his work but I do know that boeing is an airplane company that makes aircrafts and my dad's the person who travels around to get the parts for the planes and such which is why he's gone pretty often.

"Because I said so.'' I rolled my eyes at her response, but did what she asked and headed up to my room to start cleaning.

As I cleaned my room, my eyes caught a sight of my calendar that was full of red dots, notifying me of the dates of my boxing matches. My dad loved to go to my boxing matches and be the loudest in the crowd. He believes that I'm going to go far in the boxing world.

A half an hour later, my room was spotless with nothing to be seen on the floor. I mostly just shoved everything in my closet.. but mom doesn't have to know that.

I turned off the music that I had put on before cleaning and stole a glance at the clock; 4:30. Dad should have been home by now.

I decided not to worry about him because he probably just stopped off at McDonalds or something. But being the little worry wort I am, I couldn't stop thinking of all worst possible explanations for why he's late.

Walking downstairs, I found mom in the kitchen pacing back and forth.

"Mom, has dad texted you?'' I asked as nicely as possible, knowing that when you piss her off when she's pacing like that, that it's not pretty.

"No." She spat harshly. I was used to this kind of reaction whenever my dad was gone, so I walked into the living room to get my phone like nothing happened. Once I found my phone, I grabbed it and typed a quick text to my father.

Where are you? Are you okay? How come you're not here yet? xx.

I sent the text, and made sure my phone wasn't on vibrate just incase he texted me back. I locked my phone and put it back on the table in front of me.

Laying down on the couch, I put the movie Yogi Bear in the DVD player and started the movie.

[.....]

I must have falling asleep during the movie because I woke up to a pounding on the door. I stayed on the couch, thinking that mum was going to get it but when I didn't hear any footsteps nor any movement I got up off the couch.

I turned my head towards the clock and squinted, trying to see the numbers written on it but considering I didn't have any contacts in or my glasses on, it was pretty hard to make out the numbers but I finally picked up the numbers; 2:30am.

"Who the hell is knocking at our door at almost three in the morning?!'' I mumbled to myself, rubbing my eyes as an attempt to wake me up further. I opened the door, ready to yell at whoever was banging on the door but held back when my eyes landed on two men in police uniforms.

''Hello? Can I help you?'' I asked them.

"Hello, you must be Chloe Sanchez, daughter of David Sanchez, am I right?" The one asked.