Chapter 19

My phone rang in my pocket. Dad.

"Hey," he said when ii answered the phone.

"Hi," I wiped tears off my cheeks and held back my broken shock voice.

"How is LA?"

"Hot," I said.

"You're hanging in there?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"I knew you would do fine. Come home if you want. Don't think you have to do anything."

"Weren't you the one who said I should give this a try?"

"And I have been lonely here. I need you back. I don't mind raising you till you grow old and grey," he chuckled.

"I don't want that," my voice faded.

"I know," he said. "I just miss you. Call me and visit often. If my daughter is going to be a singer, I want you to come home every month," he said.

"I'm not a singer and I don't know if I will be that big. I just want to do what I want for once."

"You should," he agreed after a short pause. "You deserve to be happy, Thea," he said.

After a long chat with dad, I felt calmer. I head back into the room and change into a sweater.

"What the fuck!" I turned around and saw Logan. I was half naked and he was looking at me like a hawk.

"Where did you get that?" he asked.

"What?" I quickly slipped my sweater on but he pulled it over.

The scars.

Damn.

"Where did you get them, Thea?" he asked.

I realized this was the first time he said my name.

"I fell," I said.

"Bullshit," he snapped.

"Stay out of this," I said.

"Answer my question."

"I don't have to!"

"You live in my house!" he snapped.

"I can leave," I pulled myself away from him

He looked into my eyes and knew I dare.

He took a step back and a deep breathe.

"Let's try this again," he said. "when did you get the scar?"

"When I was 13," I said.

"How did you get it?" he asked.

He wanted truth. I will tell him the truth.

"My mom hit me against the glass mirror and it cut me deep. I was in the hospital for a week," I said dryly.

He silent. His face unreadable again.

"Is this why you freaked out over broken plates?" he asked.

"Is that seriously all you have to say?" I chuckled.

"What do you want me to say? I'm tired of trying to figure you out," he said.

"Figure me out?" I nearly snapped. "You are the one who hated me since the moment I breath into your life!"

"No shit," he rolled his eyes.

"You want to know what is my deal? You treated me like shit ever since I was little. My own father chooses my brothers over me because you and Jake don't like me. While you get to grow up like a normal kid, I was locked in my room. While you watch TV every night, I had to prepare dinner and do the dishes. While you have your parents to look after you, I had to remember to pay the bills and lock the doors every night. I had no one to pick me up when I fall. I had no one. It was all me. My mom didn't raise me. I raised her! She gets drunk every night. I had three locks at my door, Logan," I said. "Three locks because I was afraid what the boys she brings home would do to me if they wonder into the hall and found my room."

I saw his hands balled into a fist.

"While you were growing up and living your dream, people out there are struggling to survive. Maybe it's time you get a glance at reality. It's not as pretty as you think it is," I said. I grabbed my bag and head to the door.

"Is this why you were screaming?" he shut the door just as I opened it.

"What?"

"Evan said he heard you scream outside the other day. Then the other day as well," he was piecing them together quicker than I thought.

"Do you want a gold star or an A plus?" I asked.

"Shit," he shut his eyes then locked my glance.