Chapter 23

CHECK OUT THE MARINES DAUGHTER!

__________________________________________________________________________

Teaching Ashton how to play guitar didn’t end well. His fingers were too large to hold down just one string on the neck, and he couldn’t bend them in the proper way to make a cord.

I sighed in frustration, “Okay I give up. You’re horrible.”

Ashton gasped and put his hand to his chest pretending to be offended, “That hurts Hills.”

I laughed at him, very aware that he just called me by a nick name instead of just Hillary. “Whatever.”

“I’ll make it up to you,” he said standing up and plopping back onto the couch, “well go to the soccer field and play against each other. I still owe you from this weekend.”

“Let’s just go now.” I said shrugging my shoulders.

Ashton raised an eyebrow, “And where would we play? Schools in session and we’d get caught for skipping.”

“We can just go to that empty lot that’s used for training about a half hour away. No one’s there so it’d be perfect.” I said.

Whenever Taylor wanted to practice during the summer he’d take me to a vacant area that used to train local soccer stars for upcoming games. They just recently shut it down and moved to a larger training facility so it would be perfect.

“You sure? ‘Cause if you get caught this is all going on you.” He said standing up.

“Positive. Just go grab your bags and I’ll go get my shin guards and stuff.”

Ashton gave me his hand and pulled me off the floor with a smirk. I walked off rolling my eyes and went up the stairs into my room. Rummaging through my closet, I grabbed a drawstring bag and stuffed my cleats, socks and shin guards into it.

After, I ran back down and grabbed two bottles of water and gave one to Ashton as we exited the front door and walked to his car. We got in and I gave him the directions to the field. The roads were quite empty since the morning rush hour ended, and we arrived quickly.

Ashton parked the car in the gravel near the green field and we walked over to the bench that sat on the side. “This is nice.”he said taking off his shoes and socks.

I nodded my head, “This is where Taylor comes to practice sometimes.”

Ashton smiled to himself as pulled the Velcro on the back of his shin guards making them tight. After he slid his sock over it and did the same to the other leg. I followed suit and ran a lap around the field just to warm up.

“You ready to lose?” Ashton said while we walked to the center.

Laughing sarcastically I shook my head, “If anything I should be asking you that.”

“Right.” He said rolling his eyes.

It amazed me how comfortable I was around him. I didn’t feel like I had to hold back and shove myself into a corner like I used to at school because I was known as the ‘nerd’.

“So what will I win when I beat you?” he asked me crossing his arms and smirking down at me.

“You’ll win nothing.” I stated confidently. I knew I was going to win.

He chuckled, “Are you sure about that?”

I sighed, my breath making a cloud in front of me in the chilly November air. “Positive.”

“Fine, if you win I’ll take you out to lunch.” Ashton said. My eyes widened.

He wanted to take me out for lunch. Like a date?

“Okay, and if you win I’ll get us smoothies from that new shop near the mall.”

Ashton smiled at me and held out his hand. “Deal.”

“Deal.” I said with a smile and took his hand, shaking it making it final.

“Drag that goal up so that way we’re playing a smaller field.” I told him and he ran off while I positioned the ball in the center of the circle.

Once the goal was in place he ran back to me and we stood in front of one another, the ball in between our feet.

“Ready?” he asked. I nodded my head and we both counted to three in our head before I kicked the ball to his left and ran down the field.

I dribbled the ball easily and ran down to his half of the field. Ashton caught up to me easily and managed to kick it out of my reach and turned around, and scored a goal from the center line.

“Still think you’re going to win?” he asked with a cocky grin.

I looked at him in shock. “I didn’t know we were playing dirty.” I teased back.

“That’s not dirty, that’s part of the game.”

Going over to the goal I retrieved the ball and jogged back to where he stood.  “Okay, well that’s fair enough, but what about this?” I asked him.

“What about what?” Ashton asked confused.

“This.” I said and punted the ball from where we stood right into his goal. It hit the net with enough force that the bottom rails tilted back a fraction of an inch.

Ashton’s jaw hit the ground. He looked over at me with a bit of shock.

I shrugged my shoulders and looked at him innocently. “What? It’s part of the game.”

Ashton shook his head and got the black and white ball. “Now it’s on.”

About twenty minutes we were at a total of four to three, with me in the lead. We were only playing till five goals though, since it would take too long for us to make anymore. At the moments Ashton was getting some water and I peeled off Taylor’s huge sweatshirt I still had on.

“You’re pretty good you know that?” He said to me.

I shrugged my shoulders. “Thanks, but I’m nothing like the girls on the team in school.”

He nodded his head, “I know, you’re better than the varsity girls. Would you ever want to join the team?”

“Not really. I mean I don’t want the commitment of having to go to practice every day and working out all the time. I’d rather stick to singing and playing guitar and piano honestly.”

“It’s really not that bad. It’s better when you’re close with the coaches though. You feel like a family.” Ashton said. “Common let’s finish this so I can get my smoothie.”

Rolling my eyes with a smile, we walked back off to the center and started another play. He had control of the ball first and was two seconds away from making a goal before I ran in front of him and got the ball.  

Kicking it hard it sped in front of me while I ran faster trying to catch up to it. I heard Ashton mutter some profanities and run after me. He was hot on my tail when I caught up and kicked the ball into my goal.

Ashton ran up to me and picked me up throwing me over his shoulder and I yelped. “Ha-ha! I win.”

I heard him chuckle to himself and he carried me over to the goal and got the ball. “You’re a cheater.” He told me.

I slapped his back. “No I’m not now put me down and buy me some lunch.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! Sorry for the wait, school is being let out soon so I'll be able to write more, more often. 

Check out my new story The Marines Daughter if you like this one! 

Sorry for any grammer/spelling mistakes. 

COMMENT

VOTE

FAN