Chapter 21

For the rest of the weekend I spent most of it doing homework and cleaning the house, replying to my dad’s constant e-mails and working out. Going to the gym was the best way I knew how to relive my frustrations.

Getting out of bed I went to my bathroom and took a shower. Styled my hair and put on the new outfit I bought Saturday. Taylor was downstairs eating by the time I was done.

“Whoa Hills, you’re not wearing that to school.” Taylor said as I walked into the kitchen.

I was wearing a black leather jacket that fit perfectly, hitting my curves in the right places, along with a forest green top with dark wash jeggings and ankle boots. There was nothing wrong with my outfit. “Why? What’s wrong with it?”

Taylor shrugged, “Nothing, I just don’t want all the guys on you. You were amazing Friday and you’ll be getting a lot of attention today.”

I hadn’t thought about Friday. Taylor was right about the attention I was getting, but I still wanted to wear the outfit. “Well I just bought it two days ago, and I want to wear it so I am. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine.”

“Okay, just trying to let you know. But you look pretty.” Taylor added at last minute.

“Well thanks.”

“Anytime,” he said dismissively, “now grab something quick I need to re-take a quiz so we should leave in about five minutes.”

I nodded my head and grabbed an apple and a water bottle so if I needed to I could eat in the car. Going back upstairs I grabbed a leather boho bag, stuffed my books inside and swung it onto my shoulder. Before I left my room and took one last look of myself in the mirror assessing my outfit. Once my hair was placed perfectly, I walked back down stairs to notice Taylor was waiting outside in his car. I bit my apple and kept it in my mouth while shoving my bottle in my bag and locked the front door.

“Okay lets go.” I said as I shut the car door.

We were at the school in no time and found a place to park. Students were beginning to show up and a few busses were now unloading nearby.

“Hey White!” some boy called behind Taylor and I. We looked around at the same time, to see one of his soccer friends.  I knew that was my queue to leave, so walked up to the tree where I usually met Carson and Grace in the morning.

I sat down and finished eating my apple while I looked around watching people laugh. A few people came up to me congratulating me for Friday night’s performance, or came to talk to me about how I learned to play or how long I’d been singing. It was fun having someone genuinely interested in what I spend my time doing.

The bell was about to ring in five minutes and Carson nor Grace had come yet. Sighing I stood up, dusted myself off and walked into the school to my locker. I put my combination in and shoved the books that weren’t needed inside and took the ones necessary out and into my bag.

Standing up, I slammed the locker door shut with my foot and headed to class. Just as I turned, I slammed into someone.

“Sorry, didn’t see you there.” I said. “Oh, hey.”

Ashton stood in front of me rubbing his shoulder where I collided into him, “Don’t worry about it. I wanted to talk to you. I’m sorry I didn’t make it Saturday. My mom had to go to the hospital. I was there all weekend.”

My eyes widened at the news. “Oh I’m sorry. Is she okay? What happened?”

“She managed to fall down the stairs.” He explained, rolling his eyes playfully. “Don’t ask me how she did, but I didn’t have my phone with me so I couldn’t text you.”