Chapter 8

AVALON

When I was born, I instantly had the vampire instinct in me take over. I remember everything, even though some is a little foggy. I wish I didn’t, but I do. The worst part is I can’t change any of it either. I think my mother was already dead when I was born. For years, I told myself that she’d only passed out; now I know the truth…That since she was human, having me killed her. My father had been there, watching, waiting. I blamed him for everything and I attacked him. He was afraid of me. I didn’t—couldn’t understand how a powerful vampire like him could fear a small child like me. It wasn’t until later that I realized he was only afraid of responsibility of me. He knew a guy—one of his friends—and had them keep me there, against my will. It was like a prison facility. Anyone who threatened my father or who he didn’t like, was kept there. It was by far the most horrible and terrifying time in my life. I was only thankful I aged fast. My only hope was that they’d release me when I turned eighteen.

That wasn’t the case.

Aro knew the guy as well. He found me and at first it was out of pity. I felt like I owed him my life. He was only human at the time, but he was rich. He bought me a house, close to his so he could protect me in case the man came looking for me.

By that time, I was fully grown. I had stopped aging almost two years before Aro had found me. At first he never noticed—me not aging. But after a couple years went by, he began to notice. His humanness inside him couldn’t come up with a logical explanation so he wrote it off as a result of something they’d done to me in the prison. I could sense he would someday be able to see every thought anyone’s ever had with a single touch. The day I sensed he could become a powerful vampire, I didn’t know if that would be the result of our friendship. I was the closest thing to a vampire he knew. If he would ever become a vampire, it would be because of me.

So I ran away. Knowing that, and still keeping that part of myself a secret from him—when he had helped me so much—I just…I couldn’t face him. It felt like a betrayal somehow.

After that I moved around from country to country. I never stayed in one place for too long. Without Aro and the protection he offered, I was terrified of being followed…being hunted. I never allowed myself the luxury of friends. If by some miracle they didn’t betray me, then I feared I would ruin their lives. So, I kept myself at a distance from everyone else.

It wasn’t very difficult. Aro had been my only friend and you can’t miss what you’ve never had. The hardest part was letting him go…

When rumors spread of the newest law, the Voltorri, I was weary. I sensed it could only be Aro, but still I had my own hopes. If you think the idea of a sort of…government for the world of vampires went over well with others, you’re mistaken. For years vampires had roamed the earth, doing as they planned, and hunting whenever they wanted…Being restrained angered many.

As a resistance, vampires everywhere would attack humans, make spectacles of themselves just because the Voltorri had told them to keep our kind a secret.

It wasn’t until someone made a grave mistake that almost exposed our kind to humans once and for all that the Voltorri stepped in. Up ‘till then this vampire had been a part of one of the biggest covens at the time. You see, covens werent’ very common at the time. Well, they still aren’t. so when that whole coven was destroyed, everyone was in pure shock. The Voltorri made sure everyone knew their upmost rule, and that they were now the law. If you disobeyed the law that defying moment would be your last.