22 | james norrington

-----

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

-----

Respectability was something you admired in people and yearned for yourself in your youth - that was the reason you had joined the East India Trading Company. Although you were land based, the thrill of helping to catch pirates was enough for you. They would come to you after their capture and then in was done to you and your team to prepare them for hanging.

You knew many a respectable sailor who turned to piracy when the lust entered their lungs. You had been among the last people they talked to; some mourned a past life, some prayed and some were ashamed. James Norrington fell into the last category.

You watched the line of chained pirates leave the boat, many snared at you and others looked like they had lost all hope. You focused on the last prison, his gait had a stoic nature to it and your brain suddenly whirled with the idea you had seen him before.

This is the way he looked at you, both locking eyes and him looking away but you couldn't. James Norrington stood before you, a man you had held in such a high status you never even thought your would meet him. Here he was and your heart broke.

Later on you visited his cell, you didn't venture near the bars but you could see him as he looked out at the ocean through the small window.

"Do I know you?" His bored voice hurt you somehow, it cut through the powerful mask you tried to wear.

You swallowed, "Not personally, no. But I met you at Port Royal," He walked further out into the room so he could see you better. He stared at you for a fraction longer before starring at the floor, "It was a while back. The time we almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow."

"He's not a captain anymore." Was his response as he stared at your shoes.

"And how do you know that?" You asked.

"Because I stole his ship." He replied with a mixture of sadness and regret in his voice.

"The Navy has the Black Pearl?" You instinctively stepped forward with enthusiasm but then you remembered the bars and then the brand that James carried.

"Does it look like I am in the Navy?" He tried sarcasm but it didn't work as his voice cracked. Neither of you spoke for a second.

"What's your name?" He asked and you told him and when you added your rank he scoffed, you straightened your stance, "And why do you care about the failure that is James Norrington?"

You watched his face and tried to figure out what answer he wanted, you couldn't tell. So you decided to give him the truth, "Because that day I saw Commander James Norrington was the day I first knew what power was. And today is the day I know how easy it is to loose."

"Power is a curse." He replied.

"I highly doubt that." You answered and he laughed, it sounded exactly the same.

"It doesn't get you everything you want in life." James was trying to see the person beyond the job, to see you without the jail and the pirates. He didn't want another innocent persons life to be consumed by the lowlife of the Caribbean.

"What if power is all you want?" You suggested.

James walked towards you, his ankle chains slamming against the floor with every step. He reached the bars and wrapped his black and cut hands around them. Alcohol lingered on his frame, it was bittersweet.

"Then take my advice, get a better dream. Because power is just that."