6 | james norrington

--

--

You could only stare in disbelief at the engagement ring that now graced your finger. You nervously fiddled with it in front of James Norrington, the man who had given it to you.

"Thank you." You lied to him.

"And thank you." He replied in the same voice.

Neither of you spoke for a while, you both knew full well what the other was thinking. Yet neither of you wanted to say anything out loud.

"It's very pretty." You commented as you outstretched your hand and inspected the gold band further. It was the truth but somehow that fact made you feel like you were carrying a burden.

"I am glad you find it so," He had not smiled since the ring was brought out except for now, where it was one of sadness, "It is the only one fit for such a pretty lady." He forced the words out of his mouth.

You didn't like the compliment. You looked up at him and the sadness of the occasion was written on his face, he could also see it in your eyes.

"Seems a shame for it to be wasted on me." The frank honesty wasn't an element the lieutenant was expecting.

"I beg your pardon." Like always James was the politest of all the men in the room. It only made you feel worse as you watched the emotions on his face.

"It seems a shame to waste such a beautiful ring on our marriage. A marriage out of duty and not love. I feel like it would be better suited on Elizabeth Swann's finger, for it is she whom you are really in love with James. Not I."

This was his dropping as he heard the truth from your lips, this was his shame at his reality he had forced onto you. He didn't have anything to reply with so instead he nodded his head, stood up straight and left you fiddling with the ring that was never meant to be yours.