9 | philip

-- (on stranger tides)

--
(on stranger tides)

The island was beautiful but you found you couldn't fully appreciate it like Philip being chained at the wrists by pirates. You wanted to see the awe and wonder of nature like he did but your mood had turned sour when you  stopped half way through the swamp.

"Are you alright?" Philip whispered under his breath. Both of you have been through the exact same things together; held prisoner because of your religion and treated like dirt.

"No I'm not alright." You hissed at him but instantly you regret it, you're not angry at him. You're angry at life and the pirates around you, "Sorry." You muttered back at him, shifting on your perch on a rock as he sat on the floor besides you.

"Don't be," He controlled his temper better than you ever have. He has always been the more devoted one of the two of you and you wished you had the confidence he still seems to have, "You never need to ask for my forgiveness."

"You say that every time but I can't ever stop apologising because I am the reason we are in this mess." The truth didn't hurt as much as it used to, it used to tear you apart but now it just filled you with shame. He was bruised and abused, his skin hidden under layers of dirt and scratches as yours began to be washed by a faint trickling of teardrops.

You let them fall as you were starting to struggle to find a reason to justify stopping them. Philip moved from his perch and sat in front of you, he wrapped his chained hands around yours and squeezed hard.

"Look at me," He said looking up at you, you sniffed and forced yourself to meet his eyes. The look of kindness and compassion only making the tears come at a faster rate, you didn't think you deserve him, "This is not your fault. He is testing us, He knows how strong you are and now it is up to you to show him He is right."

"I can't do this." You tried to say between the heavy breaths and the tears.

Philip brought his hands to cup your face and stroked your cheekbones  "I know you can."