Chapter 1

My mom was crying but my whole body was in pain that I felt nothing apart from numbness. She had been hitting me for the past thirty minutes. I can no longer feel my legs. She screamed and shouted and in between all the noise, I zoned out.

"Thea," dad walked in. He looked horrified. He picked me up but I squeal in pain.

"Do not touch her!" my mom shouted.

"No more Maranda," Dad barked. "I let Thea stayed with you but you don't love her! Look at her!"

"I don't love her?" Maranda looked furious. She stood up and balled her fist. "I love her more than myself!"

"Love should not hurt!" I screamed at them. I was done. Done with everything. I wanted to run away but my legs were not mine anymore.

Dad looked at me worried.

"Honey," mom started. "I'm sorry. I'm drunk and tired-"

"I'm taking her away," dad cut her off.

"No!" Maranda shouted. Her eyes looked scared now.

"I'm not letting you hurt her again."

"The papers-"

"I will sue you for child abuse!" dad snapped back before mom could finish defending herself.

I felt dad carrying me away as mom sobbed on the toilet floor.

Then darkness consumed me and everything faded.

I woke up on a single bed, room painted in sky blue and pain of my wounds. I cursed when I tried to get off the bed and my bandage started to bleed.

"Oh dear," my dad's wife, Pam, walked in. She dropped the sheets from her hand and came to my side. "Don't move honey, I think you cut yourself," she said.

"I cut myself?" I looked at her.

"Well, your mom did but-" she was trying to be nice and I was a bitch.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled.

"Oh no it's fine," she giggled. "Let me get new bandage so you don't get infected."

"Dad didn't take me to the hospital," I said. Unsure if it was a question or statement, Pam just nodded.

"He didn't want to police to get involved," she said.

I nodded.

"And my mom?"

"You dad will deal with her. You should rest. I'll clean you wounds and get you something to eat," she said before she leaves. I looked at the empty ceiling and thought I would feel pain or sadness but nothing. I felt empty.