Chapter Twenty-four - Hopeless Love

Ever since I had moved in with Jeff, Smile, and Jack, it felt like life was simply blissful. Sure, I was an orphan by now, and so was Jaxon, but that didn't matter to me. What mattered was that we were all together, we were a big and happy family. Though I wondered if Jaxon would have had a better life if I had sent him back to our parents, somewhere that he'd be happy. In this house, he would never have friends or even a life outside of this forest. Until the end of his life, Jaxon would be the child who cried at the edge of the wood where another kid with a spark for curiosity would find him there. The other kid would become his friend, run home, and tell his parents all about it. Next thing you know, that family is packing their bags because their child, who is far too old to have imaginary friends, is becoming friends with "Forest People" or the people that never had a life. The people who were simply wiped off from history, left without a trace, and no one searched for us. It was as if me and Jaxon had fallen off the face of the Earth.

Perhaps they knew about this forest. I read a story once about a thing similar to this. People went into this house, and if that was reported, the cops wouldn't bother to search. Everyone knew what happened to those people who went walking into that cursed house, but they never talked about it. Maybe this was the same situation. Everyone knew that me and Jaxon had gone into the forest, and we were considered till the end of time to be missing. After about a hundred years, perhaps they would finally list us both as dead. I knew that I wouldn't live long around here, but Jeff, Jack, and Smile? They would go on. Living until people still believed in their stories that were plastered all over the internet. But how many of them truly did believe in them? Truly believed that somewhere, there was a man with missing eyelids and a smile cut from ear to ear? Truly believed that there was a man who wore a mask, and only God may know what was beneath it, whether eyes were there or not. And then there was Smile, the dog with the creepy face. How could we leave out Slenderman, a man with no face who wore a suit and lived in the woods around here? It made me wonder and laugh. I believed, and look where I had ended up. I believed in ridiculous things that made zero sense, and here I was, in love with the man that never stopped smiling. It was a crazy thing.

I had gotten my room back, except now, Jeff slept with me in bed. Sometimes. He didn't really sleep, he was just hanging around there until I slept. Then, once I was in a blissful dream, he would slip out of the room. I always knew he was taking his knife and going out to hunt, but I was never curious to ask. He would probably never leave then, if he knew that I woke up every time he tried to leave. I was a light-sleeper, and the shuffling of the bed was enough to wake me up. This night, he had woken me up again, but I kept silent as my eyes stared at the wall. Once I heard the door shut with a click, my sapphire colored eyes shut tightly, lifting my hands to my cheek. Soon enough, I returned to my slumber.

Sobbing. Heavy breathing. Intruder. Sliding my hand quietly under my pillow, I felt around, digging for a knife that I kept. Protection was a first in this place, I never knew if one of them could lose control or if someone was actually able to find this place and attacked. I would never know, and that left me taking each step with fear. At this time, I was hearing a faint crying. There were a few words, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Suddenly lurching up in bed, I lifted the knife and prepared to skin someone alive as it reflected the moonlight that seeped through the window. Everything went.. Silent.

In the corner, a man sat on top of what seemed to be a stool. At first, I didn't recognize him. Staring closer though, I saw a mask shielding his face. No wonder why I couldn't recognize him at first - You couldn't actually see his face. "U-Uh," I stammered, not quite sure what to say. "Jack? What are you doing in here?" At first, I didn't get a response. He simply lifted his head, staring at me, or the closest Jack could come to for staring.

"Why?"

Lowering the knife to the bed, I blinked, my face clouded with confusion. "What?"

He shuffled his hands, a knife glimmering between his hands. "I loved you, Livia. I love you too, why can't I have you? Why is it that every girl is in love with Jeff? What's so great about him? What does he have that I don't?"

I was a bit taken aback. I remembered that one night, Jack kissing me when Mitzi had gone insane. It wasn't accidental, but it wasn't purely on purpose either. It just seemed like he was there at the right time, the right moment. "Jack, don't talk about yourself like that, please. You are perfect, you'll find a girl one day."

He scoffed, getting off the stool. "What if I don't want another girl?"

I gave a shrug of my shoulders. "I'm afraid I'm taken, Jack."

He copied my gentle shrug. Before I knew it, I was being attacked by Jack. There were very little words after that, just the shuffling as I struggled beneath him. Being as small as I was, there was little I could do. Soon enough, I was pinned by my wrists as he stood above me, the knife still in his hand as the coolness of the blade brought goosebumps to my skin. "Jack, what the fuck are you doing?" I snarled, not finding this in any way appropriate.

That anger was soon diminished. As he explained himself, a deep sadness I had never heard from him rang out. "Please, Livia, just one more kiss." He hissed, and I frowned. It was either kiss Jack and betray Jeff, or possibly get murdered.

"Jack, I can't do that!" I hissed back.

"Nothing was made official. I never heard anything of 'Will you be my girlfriend' so yes, you can. Jeff doesn't have to know anyway. What will he do about it?" He mumbled, bringing my wrists together so he had an extra hand. With a finger, he tipped his mask up slightly, enough so his pale skin was visible from his nose down to his pointed chin. He brought his lips to just hover above mine. "You can't pretend that one night wasn't real."

I pursed my lips and said nothing. There was nothing to be said. I was stuck between two insane murderers, how crazy was that? Half of me wanted the intelligent, attractive-haired, liver-eater and the other half wanted the eyelidless, black-haired murderer. I couldn't think long before he took it into his own hands, his gentle lips crashing against mine. I offered little return in that kiss, though he went full out. Using his other hand, he gently wrapped his fingers around my neck, causing me to tense. A dark chuckle came from Eyeless. "Cute." He mumbled, removing his lips from me. He pulled his mask back down, flipping the knife into his hand and into his pocket. He got off of me and simply walked out of the room, just as if nothing happened.

I sat there on the bed, stunned. What the fuck just happened? What the Hell did I just do? What have I caused? So many questions were flying around like annoying bees in my head. It hurt. So, I laid back down, too tired to think about this. I would think in the morning. Taking my last glance at the ceiling, I turned onto my side to face the other wall. My breathing softened and the world went to black.