Chapter Twenty-three - The End of the Road

Chapter twenty-three - The End of the Road

Jack had taken Jaxon to the bathroom, I could hear the water running from where I was sitting on the couch with Jeffery to my side. It was strange how all their names started with J, and mine with L. I would have felt like the odd one out if it hadn't been for Smile, who lay snoring at my feet. My face was still red with all the running I did, and with a glance at Jeffery, I drew in a small breath. "Are you okay?" I inquired. The way that he was positioned, his hoodie was up over his head, and his face was blocked by his arm as he rested on the armrest of the couch. When he picked up his head, I didn't even flinch. The face staring back at me was a face with no eyelids, skin as white as snow, and a smile cut straight through the leathery skin.

My hand reached forward carefully at his face, my fingertips touching the leathery texture that was whiter than the moon, and yet the texture was smooth, without bumps or crevices. With my finger tracing down to his cut lips, his dark eyes seemed to watch me, though they watched a bit sorrowfully, as if he was sorry that he had changed. My eyes met him, and I gave a slight shake of my head as if to respond to him. "You will always be beautiful, Jeff." I murmured through my lips with them just barely moving. In a fluid motion, his own hand came up and touched against my cheek. It was cold, but I didn't mind, I didn't flinch. As cold as it was, my cheeks were burning with a pink flush against them. His eyes were no longer dark. They were vibrant with an emotion I had only begun to notice - Love.

I leaned forward just a bit, though not much, with my neck tilted ever so slightly. A deep breath, and I took in the scent of this creature, this boy, this lover. His scent was something that I wanted to remember, something that I would never forget. His hot breath slithered on my neck, causing my cheeks to change to a rosy red color. I could feel his fingertips travel down my neck, crossing across my colorbone and I shivered, which made him chuckle. A small smile curled my own lips as I turned to face him, planting my pink lips gently on his leathery cheek. He seemed a little startled at first, though he didn't move, leaving an imprint of my lipstick just barely showing.

Drawing back from him, I smiled, taking hold of his hands. Then, Jaxon and Jack walked into the room, though Jaxon was half naked with a towel covering the lower half of his body. Still, his golden hair was dripping wet. I glanced over at them, sighing a little. "Can't you dry him off a little better, Jack?" Though he only shrugged his shoulders. "He fidgets. I would too if strangers were bathing me."

I giggled a little, and Jaxon came running over to me, leaving little wet footprints on the floor. He jumped onto my lap, splattering water on Jeff and me. Then I had realized that Jaxon had never met Jeff before, and he might be scared. "Em, Jaxon? This is my friend, Jeff." My hand motioned to the man that was seated beside me. Jaxon turned his head, his golden hair sticking to his forehead and the nape of his neck. His aqua eyes stared for a few moments to Jeff, unresponsive at first. Then his arms drew out, and he wrapped them around Jeff's neck with a stretch. He seemed to be utterly surprised. "U-Uh." With a gentle helping hand, I took Jeff's wrists and wrapped his arms around Jaxon, pushing Jax's butt onto Jeff's lap.

"You guys are perfect."

"God dammit I'm not a baby-sitter." He snarled through gritted teeth, which only made me giggle.

Soon enough, Jack was sitting next to me. He seemed to be a little distant, and I reached over, touching my hand to his in a friendly manner. A gentle smile was all he needed, and he seemed to brighten up a little. This would be our life from now on, the four of us knew that. More or less for Jaxon, but I didn't think that any of us minded. We would be our own little creepy pasta family, us and Smile could just live here and go out whenever to grab some food. We would be the little rebels of this town, stealing things just to stay alive. But that wasn't really what mattered. We had a family, we had each other, and we had love.

Wasn't that what the moral was all about?

"Well, who wants some dinner!" I chanted, and Jaxon squealed in surprise. Jeff and Jack made a sarcastic, 'Yay' that seemed to be more of a groan.

"Jack, you sit at the table, even if you don't eat. Jeff, I will force food down your throat."

"Can I get some intestines on my plate?" Jeff muttered.

Then Jack. "Put a kidney on mine."

I crossed my arms. "I am not touching any dead bodies guys."

"You better get used to it if you're going to live with us for the rest of your life." Jeffrey sneered.

I left the couch, heading off to the kitchen. It was clean now, though I had faint memories of that boy's eaten up body on the floor. How I cried that day, it was strange. I'd gone through so much, and now something like that didn't really bother me. Maybe the longer I stayed here, the less emotion I felt or the more insane I became, though I knew I was far from insanity. The only one that the insanity had affected was my dearest cat, I figured she was dead by now.

I opened the fridge, and felt a tug on the leg of my pants. Looking down, I smiled and noticed my brother sitting there with his pudgy face staring at me, his curls becoming dry. "Sandwich." He said, pointing at the certain condiments he wanted on his sandwich in the fridge. "All-right, bossy." I muttered under my breath, taking out the lettuce and whatever else was left in there. It wasn't much, but it would do.

Later on, I set plates on the table. One plate had a sandwich for Jaxon, to which he stared at hungrily. A cup of water was to his left. Where I sat there was some toast with a cup of water. Jeff had a plate of toast as well, though he had some beer in his room and that was what he planned to drink. Jack just had some water.

For that night, we sat at the table with laughter and smiles. Life was good, and all was good. It would be a struggle to live here, though gazing into Jeff's lidless, loving eyes, I knew that with Jack and Jeff and Smile, I would be safest here.

This was my home.