The Heart of the Matter//4x04

"48 uninterrupted hours, of this!"

Derek's Prov.

I get in the elevator after a very rushed morning. There are some other people in the elevator, people I don't pay attention to. My head is clouded with thoughts. Thoughts about how I'm gonna ask Meredith if she wants to go to Wine Country with me. I know her answer is going to be somewhere along the lines of, 'we didn't go to fancy places when we were a couple, and now were not a couple.' But with hopeful thinking, maybe I can get her to agree to go along.

The elevator stops on the 2nd floor, and everybody gets off besides me, and one person gets on. Meredith. She just looks at me and smiles, standing about a foot away from me. I just smile, and wait to tell her.

"Do you wanna go to Wine Country with me this weekend?" I ask after about 30 seconds of silence.

"Wine Country? That sounds like a couple place?" Meredith replies, turning her head, looking at me with a tiny smirk.

"Well yeah-"

"Derek we didn't go to couple places when we were a couple, and now were not a couple. People who are not couples don't go to couple places," she interrupts, matter of factly.

"Meredith," I say, just before taking a step closer and grabbing her by the waist, kissing her. I let my lips roam hers, licking her bottom one asking for entrance, she allows, and our tongues collide together. I slowly part our lips, and take a deep breath in.

"48 uninterrupted hours, of this," I whisper to her, holding her chin. She smirks, still trying to catch her breath. I tilt my head and give her my "McDreamy smile".

"I'll have to get someone to cover my shift," she says, and just like that, the doors open. She turns her head, looks out the elevator, and starts walking out. I smile and nod my head. Score.

-----------------------------------

3 hours later

After I finish my craniotomy I go down the cafeteria to have an early lunch before my next surgery. I get my food, pay, and go sit down. Just as I am about to finish my salad, Meredith comes to sit next to me.

"Hey, so I got Alex to cover my shift for this weekend!" She says, taking my last tomato. I smile and nod my head at her, just as I take a sip of my water.

"Great, so just meet me in the lobby at 7:30!" I tell her, just before grabbing my trash and leaving the area, and go to scrub in for my tumor removal.

As I scrub in, all I can think about is Meredith. Everything about her is simply amazing. Her laugh, her smile, even her dark and twisties I enjoy. There's just one thing that isn't amazing... Her inability to commit.

----------------------------------------

7:15

Meredith's Prov.

I just got done doing sutures on a kid in the pit when Cristina comes up to me.

"Hey, you wanna get drinks tonight?" She asks as we start walking towards the residents lounge.

"Me and Derek actually have 48 uninterrupted hours planned," I tell her, still being cautious of the fact that Burke is gone.

"Okay," she says, smiling.

I change into my street clothes, say goodbye to Cristina, and head to the lobby. I sit on one of the comfier waiting room chairs, when Lexie comes up to me.