Merry Christmas

As Christmas approached Meredith Grey swore she was getting happier and happier. Her and Derek Shepherd had been together for well over 30 years now, but that's not what she was really paying attention to; she was paying attention the her house, a house that smelled of sweet cinnamon, turkey, and love. 

Meredith knew that her kids, and most likely husband, would pick on her for cooking; she wasn't one to cook, but for the holidays she always made something special. The holidays always reminded her of all the sadness she had in her childhood, her mother wasn't one to cook, or give love. But then she got reminded of the 39 Christmas's she gave to her children, well the eldest child anyway. The 39 Christmas's that there was always a nice meal on the table, provided either by her or her mother-in-law, Carolyn. 

Meredith woke up this Sunday morning feeling great. She looked over to see her sleeping husband, got up, let out Skippy-there 13 year old Golden Retriever they got when Jeremy went to college, and started making her and Derek's favorite Christmas breakfast. 

As Meredith stood by the fridge she got a sudden flood of memories; the first time she made this meal all by herself, the first Christmas she and Derek spent without the kids, and 5 Christmas's ago when Zola announced her engagement to Josh. Meredith stared at the eggs, and looked up when she heard her husbands grunting. 

"Morning," he said, giving her a light smile. 

"Hi. Merry Christmas!" Meredith replied, smiling to where she knew her age marks would appear. Derek gave her a huge smile back, taking in his aging yet beautiful wife. 

"Merry Christmas," he cheers back. He walks over to where Meredith is standing and gives her a light kiss on the cheek. Meredith looked at her ever so slightly old husband and kissed him on the mouth, gentle, compassionate. 

Meredith and Derek spent several years at there house, the one Derek made a while back. As soon as Meredith retired, Derek did, too; it was only 5 years ago, but felt like a forever ago. They still went to the hospital every once in awhile, just to make sure the place hasn't burned down yet. They knew that their kids would take care of the place, they all worked there as surgeons. 

Meredith retired from surgery 5 years ago; she was having several back and foot issues, she tried to push through, hours of surgery just killed her though. So once she put down the scalpel, so did Derek. They agreed that neither of them wanted to leave each other behind like that; leaving one at home while the other got to do what they loved. Meredith took it fairly well, taking it in as more time she got to spend having "old people sex" (as her kids would call it) with her husband, and spending more time doing things she never really got to do when she had a job; go on trips, visit some family, go hiking, and doing other newly discovered hobbies. Soon after Meredith had retired she started to take better care of herself and her body; soon her back and foot pain went away, and she was back to doing the things she loved, besides surgery that is.  

Meredith had turned 70 in August, her children and husband throwing her a surprise party. Derek had turned 76 in April, Meredith saying that he may be old, but his body wasn't showing it at all. At first their kids were mad; they had older parents then all of their friends, but they soon realized that their parents were younger than the number. Of course their bodies were starting to catch up with there age, but they went for walks daily and ate all of the necessary foods for their health. 

As Meredith looks around her house- thinking about the events of this morning- her eyes wander to her two daughters talking and her sons fooling around. She remembers when she couldn't even put those children by each other for 2 minutes without someone getting hurt or yelled at. She looks at her 5 grandchildren- Mae is the oldest, she's 6 (Bailey's daughter), then theres Alice, she's 4 (Zola's daughter), then theres Alex, he's also 4 (Ellis' son), then theres Emma, she's 2 (Zola's daughter), and then there is Derek, he's 9 month's (Bailey's son). Jeremy, the youngest, had just got married a couple years ago, him and his wife weren't really parent type. All of Meredith's kids ranged now between the age of 37 and 31- Zola the oldest, Jeremy the youngest. 

She smiles at her children, and sips her wine. She feels her husbands strong arms wrap around her waist, and her smile grows wider. 

"What are you looking at?" He asks. She shakes her head and lets out a deep breath. 

"Nothing. How's the turkey?" Meredith asks, not wanting to bring the kids up- she'll mention it later. 

"Almost done," he replies. He stares at his wife as they continue to stand by the huge window, staring at all of the people in there home. Alex and Jo, along with Owen and Teddy, Miranda and Ben, Amelia- her husband past away a few years ago of cancer so she came with her daughter, April and Jackson, and Maggie and Deluca; most of the couples kids' came, along with their children, it was a full house to say the least. 

As dinner was served all of the adults ate at the table, the kids having their own table. The adults went around sharing stories, and things they were thankful for. 

By the end of the night, kids' were passed out, Meredith and Derek's grandchildren had been there since 7:30 this morning- Santa always came to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Other kids had also had a long day playing with their cousins- not by blood, but they were all family. 

By 10:00 mostly everybody went home besides Zola, Bailey, Ellis, and Jeremy, along with their kids and spouses. They decided that they were just going to sleep on the couch's and floors, some going into there old rooms to sleep. Meredith and Derek kissed their grandchildren goodnight, and said I love you's to their kids and their spouses. 

As Meredith ad Derek cuddled into bed that night, like they had for the past 37 years, Derek laid his head on Meredith's cheek, and wrapped his arms around her waist. 

"Crap," Meredith mutters, just as they got comfy. 

"What?" Derek asks, very alarmed. 

"I forgot to give you your present," she says, the guilt rising up in her throat. She jumps out of bed and rushes over to her closet, digging deep to find the present. Meredith then pulls out a square box, she climbs back into bed, not getting into the covers, but sitting on top of them, her legs crossed. 

"Open it," she commands to Derek. He gives her a puzzling look before opening the present, then opening the box. 

"It's  a watch," he says, his mouth agape. "It's a watch just like my father's," another pause. "How- where did you find this?" He asks Meredith, who is still looking at him lovingly. 

"Last summer when we went to New York, you were still sleeping so I figured I would go explore a little, I found it in a watch store," she tells him. He nods and then hugs his wife, a nice tight hug. 

"I love you," Meredith whispers. 

"I love you, too Meredith," Derek says. When they let go of each other Derek puts a present in Meredith's hand. 

"Where did this come from?" She asks looking down at it and then back up at her husband. 

"Magic," he tells her laughing. She shakes her head and slowly opens the present. It's a picture of her, Zola, Bailey, Ellis, Jeremy, and Derek all at Carolyn's house standing in front of the Christmas tree. Zola had to have been maybe 7, Bailey was 5, Ellis was 3, and Jeremy was still a baby. The picture is being held by a black and silver picture frame. 

"Oh my, Derek this is beautiful, I didn't even know we took this picture," Meredith tells him. Derek smiles and lets his wife stare at the picture. Soon he puts his watch on, and Meredith puts the picture on her night stand. 

That night Meredith Grey falls asleep in her husbands arms like she does every night. 

34 more years and they will die in each others arms, just liked promised. 

Okayyyyyy, here ya go! Merry Christmas my dudes, this is my Christmas present for y'all! I hope enjoyed this chapter, I enjoyed writing it! 

I also want to ask a very important question, would you guys like me to do a second part to the previous chapter, it's totally up to y'all, if you want to make a picture in your head that everybody lives, or everybody dies, or I can make another part and create that picture??? 

Hope your day is filled with warmth and love, much love my dudes- Abby!