Epilogue

Nine months had passed. April Kepner had been elected Chief Resident, a shock to everyone. Arizona and Callie were happily married, Derek and Meredith had adopted Zola, Teddy and Henry were together, Owen and Cristina were together, everyone was content, including Alex and I. 

I was ready to burst. I was on maternity leave, but I of course still came to the hospital daily, I just couldn't operate or diagnose patients. I was allowed to fill in charts though. One day, I was curled up on a gurney with Jackson beside me. He was filling in a chart whilst I peered over his shoulder and helped him with prescriptions and diagnosing patients. I yawned, and felt the sudden urge to pee. I swung my legs over the edge of the gurney and used Jackson to heave myself up. 

As soon as I was on both of my swollen feet, I felt a liquid run down my legs. I froze in my spot as the water ran down my legs. Jackson looked up when he saw I hadn't moved an inch. 

"What is-" he began to ask, but then he noticed the puddle at the bottom of my feet.

"Did you not get there in time?" Jackson teased, smirking slightly. I rolled my eyes.

"Are you kidding me right now? My water's broke," I snarled. His mouth dropped open.

"Oh, right, right, this is happening now!" he exclaimed, tossing his chart to the side and getting a luckily nearby wheelchair for me to sit down in. 

"You know, you'd never believe you were a surgeon," I spat, giving him a sardonic look. He rolled his eyes, knowing it was just a rollercoaster of hormones talking. 

Jackson wheeled me up to OB, where I told him to page Alex and Mark and Callie. I was beginning to have contractions, and Jesus, were they painful. 

After a while, Mark had arrived to be present at the birth of his niece or nephew, whereas Alex was nowhere to be seen.

"Where's Alex?" I breathed, screwing my face up in pain.

"He's in surgery, I think," Jackson informed me, whilst I let out a painful cry.

"AHHHHH!" I screamed, half in pain, half in agitation that the father of my baby wasn't present for the birth.

"Call him," I ordered, and Jackson obeyed quickly. He placed the phone on speaker and placed it near my mouth. An intern answered the call, saying Alex was busy.

"Put. Him. On. The. Damn. Phone," I snarled, and then I heard some moving around of the phone on the intern's end.

"Maia what is it, I'm in the middle of a rare surgery," he said, frustrated.

"Is it more important than the birth of your kid?" I seethed. I heard a string of profanities. 

"I'm on my way right now," he said quickly. The call ended, and I flung my head back against the pillow in agony. 

Alex arrived shortly, and he stayed with me through labor. Contractions were terrible. I was becoming more and more irritable. Eventually, I didn't even want Alex right beside me. 

"Keep that dick away from me! You did this!" I screamed at him. He didn't move, although he was definitely surprised by my outburst. Soon enough though, our precious baby arrived. 

She was beautiful, couldn't have been more perfect. We named her Phoebe, after our favorite F.R.I.E.N.D.S character. She had our dark hair and Alex's tanned skin. We named Callie and Arizona Phoebe's godparents. 

Years passed, and things changed. Bad things. Like people I cared for being involved in a plane crash which resulted in Lexie and my brother's death. That really took a huge toll on me, and if it hadn't been for Phoebe and Alex I most definitely would have gone back to my old frenemy, alcohol. 

But also, good things happened. I stayed sober, Alex and I raised Phoebe to be a beautiful girl. Phoebe and Sofia and Zola were inseparable. I became an attending, soon I became the Chief of Trauma. 

It was when everything was good again since Mark's death, that I realized that all I needed to survive healthily was to focus on the positives. Focus on the fact that I was in a loving, secure relationship. Focus on the fact that we were raising a beautiful kid. Focus on the fact I was amazing at my job. Focus on the fact that I was surrounded people I loved. 

Perhaps my life wasn't perfect. I hate my old life. I love the new life. 

New York is overrated. Seattle is much better.

-----------------------------------

A/N: I FINALLY DID IT. I ENDED THE BOOK. I AM SUPER SAD TO SEE THIS BOOK END. I LOVED WRITING AND CREATING BACKSTORIES FOR MAIA, SHE WILL FOREVER HOLD A PLACE IN MY HEART.

AS WILL YOU ALL OF YOU READERS. 12k READS MAY NOT SEEM LIKE A LOT, BUT TO ME IT REALLY IS. I AM THANKFUL FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTINUED READING AND ADDED THIS MESS OF A BOOK TO THEIR LIBRARY. THANKFUL FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS EVER COMMENTED OR VOTED OR JUST READ A CHAPTER. 

I LOVE ALL OF YOU. XOXOXOXOXO