Chapter 9

A/N: NO WAY HAVE I GOT 1K READS?! HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE ILY GUYS SO MUCH...!!! ALSO A WARNING: THERE WILL BE A SMUTTY SCENE AT THE VERY END OF THE CHAPTER SO FEEL FREE TO SKIP IT IF YOU WANT BUT LIKE SERIOUSLY SMUT IS AMAZING

I gnawed on my lower lip as I painfully watched Izzie Stevens spill orange juice all over her eight million dollar cheque. All week, she'd been promising to cash that single slip which carried so much money into the bank, but she'd been delaying her trip. 

"Okay, seriously, Izzie, you need to take that to the bank now." Meredith sighed, also seemingly uncomfortable by that intimidating piece of paper stuck on the refrigerator. 

George and I nodded, shifting around in our stools. "I will, Mer, I just need to go to the hospital to clean out my locker first." she stated flatly, and I rolled my eyes. I set down my coffee, then slouched out of the kitchen to finish getting ready for work. 

Like usual, Meredith carpooled us all to work, and in the locker room, it seemed that Izzie and Meredith were having some sort of calm dispute. The rest of us watched on, basking in the drama and tension. The argument soon ended. Izzie and Mer were friends.

Soon after we all left the locker room, Doctor Bailey told us all to be at the M&M. I wasn't sure whether I was excited to go or not, but I guess I'd find out once I'd experienced the atmosphere there a little. 

In the auditorium where the M&M took place, instead of sitting with the interns in my group, I sat with Callie. 

I wasn't sure whether I could call Callie a best friend. Sure, we vented to each other about stupid things, drank wine together, crazily danced together, and did all of the generic 'best friend' pastimes together, but it was different. It was a peaceful friendship, and not filled with drama. Callie was the one person who I could go to if I needed to let my hair down. She didn't care about all of my emotional baggage. She couldn't care less if I was a transgender alien. Callie didn't judge anyone, which was definitely one of her greatest qualities. 

None of the other interns particularly thought my friendship with Callie was normal. I know that she was a resident, and I an intern, which on most occasions meant we should hate each other, but we didn't. I enjoyed Callie's company a lot. 

Soon, Chief Webber began his speech for the M&M. It didn't take an idiot to realize that his speech was centered around Denny Duquette. Webber soon stepped down from the speech podium, with Doctor Burke replacing him. I shifted around in my seat uncomfortably, knowing I could possibly have had some part with his death. I had participated in the cutting of Denny's LVAD wire, which, even if it did get Denny his heart, the transplant would not have taken place that night as a result of the shooting of Doctor Burke.

Doctor Savoy soon interrupted Doctor Burke, and Doctor Savoy started to solely place the cause of Denny's death onto Doctor Bailey. I knew that this was not fair in the slightest. Doctor Bailey was busy, just doing her job in the ER that night. It most definitely was not her fault that Denny had died. If it was anybody's fault, it was us, the interns. 

Anyone could see that Doctor Savoy's constant accusations towards Doctor Bailey were causing her confidence levels to go down, and I pitied the strong woman who I had come to care for in a mentor-student bond. Soon though, Chief Webber interrupted Doctor Savoy and defended Doctor Bailey, but then everyone in the M&M went quiet, as we turned around to see Izzie Stevens standing at the back, tears forming in her eyes. 

Instantly, Meredith, Cristina, George and Alex bounced up and ran over to her, comforting her, hugging her. I turned to Callie. "Should I go and comfort her too?" I asked, sliding down in my seat.