Chapter 3

A/N: WARNING: Alcohol, profanity, drug overdose references, and also some sexual references will be featured in this chapter! Flashbacks will be written in italics

Weeks passed, and I settled into Meredith's house, and went out on more dates with Alex. 

One morning, Izzie, George and I were waiting for Meredith to get up so we could go to work together. Izzie and I just wanted to leave and avoid being late, but George insisted we stay and wait for Meredith. We decide to stay and wait, but not before teasing George about his secret crush on Meredith.

At work, Meredith freaked out in the locker room because she thought she'd be kicked out for sleeping with Derek. I sighed when I heard her talking about this, still in my mind (even though I knew what Mark and Addison did) I thought that Derek and Addison belonged together. They'd always seemed so happy on the outside, that I'd always assumed they'd been happy on the inside too. I wanted so bad to go over to New York and yell at Mark for what he did, though I felt I needed to yell at Addison more. Addison was the one in a relationship, and she should have known to stray, no matter how charismatic Mark could be. 

Doctor Bailey came to greet us, and then she took us to a patient. Before entering the patient's room, she told us to maintain decorum, and to not laugh. She opened the door, and we entered. Laying on the bed, was a woman, with an extremely large tumour. 

The patient, Miss Connors, took a shine to Alex, and requested that he took her for a CT, instead of Izzie, whom Doctor Burke had originally assigned to the task. I smiled at Miss Connors, and then at Alex, who smirked back at me like he always does. 

When we left the room, Meredith, Cristina, Izzie, George and I all discussed Miss Connors' weight, and how Alex was acting a lot nicer around her. I shrugged, and didn't really participate in the conversation, because I kind of knew that Alex could be a nice person when he wanted to be. 

I was put on Burke's service, and I knew I had an opportunity to scrub in on Miss Connors' surgery with Burke. I asked Burke if I could scrub in, so he told me to find the patient's family and he might just let me in.

I went to find Miss Connor's mother, while on the way thinking about how Miss Connor could have possibly let her tumour grow like that. I found Annie's mother, who reassured me that Annie was scared, and didn't want to come in because the bigger the tumour got, the more scared she became. I sighed, and told Annie's mom that the right thing to have done was bring her to the hospital a year ago.

Later, Burke paged me to Annie's room. He was talking to Annie. "Miss Connor, Doctor Sloan here will also scrub in on the surgery with myself and Doctor Yang." he then informed Annie of the procedure, and then we both walked out of the room. 

I felt good about getting to scrub in on a surgery, until I noticed Alex sulking. I approached him, and kissed his cheek from behind. He scowled at me.

"You stole my surgery from me." he said accusingly. 

"No, you got the surgery taken off of you, and it was given to me." I smirked. He frowned, and then ignored me.

I sighed, and rolled my eyes. "Fine, if you're ignoring me, I guess I won't be seeing you tonight, and I'm even wearing matching, fancy underwear for you. No big deal." I said, smirking slightly. 

Alex looked at me then, and raised his eyebrows. "Matching underwear?" he asked. 

I nodded. "Oh yeah, black lace, and everything." I smirked. 

"Oh." his voice cracked. I slowly nodded, still smirking at him. He set the chart he was holding down with a crash, and then he grabbed my wrist and pulled me into the nearby supply closet.