Here Comes Goodbye

Sorry for that last chapter but it HAD to happen.  Okay, now read on my wayward son, there’ll be peace when you are done.

Chapter Quote:

“It’s always hard to lose somebody. It leaves a hole in your heart that never grows back. ”

~Lucas

_________________________________________

Chapter 19:  Here Comes Goodbye

Luke 

Whispering was the first thing Luke he heard when he became conscious.  It was just one voice, meaning it was only one person most likely.  It sounded like Silena.  Her tone was off… like she had been crying, or was crying.

Luke wanted to open his eyes.  He’d just had the worst nightmare that Bryn had been impaled to a stalactite by Hannah.  Why he’d dreamt that was beyond him but he wanted that image out of his head.

“Silena?” he groaned, prying his eyes open.  They didn’t want to but he wasn’t going to give them a choice.

“Luke!” She exclaimed. “Oh my gods you’re awake!”

She threw her arms around him into a massive hug.  He returned it. “You okay little sis?”

“I’m okay…” It was an obvious lie but he decided to ignore it. “You?”

“Better now that I’m out of that place and awake.  Had a horrid dream about Bryn dying… why do you look like you’ve been crying?”

His sister raised an amused eyebrow. “Horrid?”

“Bryn must be rubbing off on me.  Where is she by the way?”

Silena bit her lip. “I’ll… tell you later.  Let’s just focus on getting you better and healed.  Hannah did a number on you.  Here, have some ambrosia and nectar.”

Silena quickly handed him a glass of the liquid and an ambrosia square.  He nibbled on the food, trying to figure out what was wrong with his sister, when Derek shuffled in.  His eyes were puffy and red.  Either he’d had a severe allergy attack or he’d been crying.  It made Luke start thinking that maybe his dream hadn’t been a dream… wouldn’t Bryn have come to see him by now?  Or maybe she was taking a shower?  Or maybe she was asleep?

“Luke?” Derek stared at him, as if shocked he was awake.

“Hey Derek, you okay?”

The son of Apollo looked over at his girlfriend.  An unsaid message seemed to pass through them.  Studiously avoiding the question, Derek said,  “You’re healing well.  That’s crazy considering what you looked like when we found you.  Maybe it’s all that ambrosia and nectar we’ve been feeding you over the past week but still, I’ve never seen the stuff work that well.”

“What are you not telling me?  You two are hiding something and both of you have been crying.  I’m blond, I’m not blind,” Luke pointed out. “And where’s Bryn?” When neither of his friends responded, he repeated his question more forcefully, panic rising in his chest.  Derek and Silena still didn’t answer him.  His sister looked down at her hands in her lap.  Derek’s face turned red, as if trying to prevent himself from crying.  Luke began shaking his head, refusing to believe what they weren’t telling him.

That his dream hadn’t been a dream.

That Bryn was dead.

That he’d never see her again.