Separated Again

SO CLOSE OH MY GODS. I hope y’all enjoy! :)

Chapter Quote:

“When I met you, flowers started growing in the darkest parts of my mind.”

~Unknown

_________________________________________

Chapter 17: Separated Again

Bryn 

Leading the way down the tunnel with her sword Keravno in front of her ready to strike any enemies down, Bryn kept a close eye on her companions and her surroundings.  No one was going to die on her watch.  The first obstacle the trio came across was a dead end created by a solid rock wall.  A small, rocky knob protruded.  It was covered with a rusty, copper color.

“What is that?” Silena asked, looking at it curiously.

Derek stepped closer. “I think that’s… blood?”

Bryn cringed as she realized why the blood was there. “Blood sacrifice.  To get in, you must offer blood.”

“Uh, how much?  Like a little finger prick?  A liter?  Five liters?” Derek wondered.

“Five liters of blood and you’d be dead,” Silena pointed out.

“Well then let’s hope it doesn’t desire that,” Bryn said, slicing a shallow cut into her hand.  She clenched her jaw at the pain as she placed her hand on the knob.  For twenty agonizing seconds, nothing happened.  She started to wonder if she’d been right about the whole blood sacrifice thing.

Suddenly, the rock started moving.  Bryn took her hand off and Derek quickly wrapped a bandage he’d gotten from his backpack around her wound.

“You okay?” he queried seriously.

“I’m fine.  Hannah wants to weaken us as much as she can before we reach her so she has a better chance of beating us.  I don’t know if that was the only device she has to do so but I doubt it… let’s get going.  I don’t want to stay in one place too long.  That grinding was loud.  It may have caught the attention of someone.  Come on.”

They started off again.  The rock door slid shut behind them, entombing them the gods only know how far deep below the Earth’s surface.  The trip was quiet save for the times Derek decided to hum “Be Prepared” which made Silena giggle and Bryn roll her eyes.  He stopped humming when they came to a three-way fork in the path.

“Derek, using your super senses, which way do you say?” Silena remarked.

He glanced down each tunnel carefully. “If we want to find Luke, I think we need to go straight.  Right seems ok too but it doesn’t lead us to him.  Left just feels wrong.”

“Honestly, how on earth do you know this?  What powers did Apollo give you?” Bryn chuckled.

Derek shrugged. “Wicked intuition and dashing good looks.”

Bryn didn’t say anything but she was smiling.  The group went straight, praying Derek was right.  She didn’t doubt him.  He’d been right so far (even if the rapid-riding was considered the “safe route”).  Why should Bryn doubt him now?

She didn’t know how much time had passed, but the minutes seemed to drag on and on and on.  This tunnel seemed to never end.  But then again, if this was leading them to where Hannah was keeping Luke (and maybe more prisoners), then it would make sense that she kept them the farthest away from any escape routes.  Bryn just wanted to get there.  She wanted to get to Luke.  She wanted to tell him the truth.  She wanted to get him out of here.