That's Ironic

I’M SO EXCITED THIS STORY IS COMING TO A CLOSE BECAUSE “UNTAMED” IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN!  Okay, that’s enough of my ranting.  Have fun!  Oh, and this is dedicated to Leonidas_son_of_Nike because he’s reviewed every chapter of all my stories multiple times so a huge thank you to him!  And thank you to all my other reviewers who have dutifully stayed with this story <3 

Chapter Quote:

“Today is the day!  You’re mountain is waiting.  So… get on your way!”

~Dr. Seuss

_________________________________________

Chapter 16: That’s Ironic

Silena 

The drive from Laughlin to Colorado Springs, according to the GPS in the Ferrari, was supposed to take a little over twelve hours.  But when they ran into more law enforcement problems in Flagstaff, Arizona, they had to take a detour and the drive ended up meaning to take fourteen hours.  That led them to a road called Highway 550, which turned out to be the infamous “Million Dollar Highway” Silena had read about.  It was a narrow, winding highway located in the most rugged part of the Rocky Mountains.  The lanes were narrow with no guardrails to prevent a car from falling off the sheer drop offs if they lost control.  The only thing that comforted Silena was that she knew Bryn could use wind to push their cars away from falling off a cliff or make the cars fly.  Of course it would take a lot of energy to do so…

However, the group of four reached Colorado Springs with little trouble after that.  Silena only had about… ten heart attacks from Derek deciding to pass Bryn to show off the car or him deciding to race her.  He normally didn’t drive that recklessly but considering the car they were in, Silena doubted she could drive the speed limit too.

The supposed fourteen hour drive actually only took twelve hours, the same amount of time as their original route would have taken.  Of course, that was because Bryn and Derek never went the speed limit; they went twenty or thirty or more over.  They all took four to five hour shifts of driving.  Derek and Bryn drove four the first time, Rachel and Silena drove five the second, and then the former two finished up the drive.

Upon reaching Colorado Springs, the cars received many stares.  The town was well to do, but you still didn’t see a Lamborghini and Ferrari that often.  They stopped at a McDonald’s to grab a quick breakfast.  It wasn’t the healthiest of meals but none of them cared.  They were all starving.  Once they finished with that, they ended their journey at Garden of the Gods.  Silena stood in awe at the sight before her.  Red rocks in all sorts of formations towered over them.  One was called the Kissing Camels (the name is self-explanatory, is it not?), one formation was called the Balancing Rock, and Silena tried to figure out how the rock, that was the size of a tank, balanced on such a small structure.  There were other formations that Silena didn’t have time to figure out the name of because Bryn was already walking, trying to find out where she had to go to rescue Luke.  Silena chastised herself for getting distracted so easily.  She jogged to catch up to her friend who seemed to be off in her own little world, finagling her way through the tourists (and there were a lot of them).

“Hey Silena, do you know if bald eagles are common in Colorado?” Rachel inquired.

“Sort of.  They’re here, but they sort of a rarity to see.  Why?”

“Oh, it’s just there’s a bald eagle up there on that rock formation.  I think it’s part of the Cathedral Spires or something.”

“It’s looking right at us.  That’s a creepy as hell bird…” Derek grumbled.  Bryn’s head snapped up at his comment.  She looked over at the majestic eagle.  It stared back at her.  For about two minutes, the two had a staring contest before the eagle swooped down and landed on Bryn’s shoulder.  Tourists gaped as Bryn calmly let it perch on her.  Derek, Silena, and Rachel didn’t think anything of it.  The eagle was Zeus’s symbol.  For all they knew, Bryn could talk to it.