That Dam Trip

I’m on a roll with this story!  Pardon where the quote comes from.  I can’t stand the series but I love this quote.  Enjoy!

Chapter Quote:

"Driving at the speed limit- hideous thought.”

~Edward Cullen

_______________________________

Chapter 14: That Dam Trip

Bryn

To be honest, Bryn had only heard that being related to Poseidon made falling on water from stories high feel like landing on a pillow.  She actually didn’t know if it was true.  Therefore she tried to slow down there fall as much as possible, even though they had so much momentum going that she couldn’t help much.  Thankfully, when they plummeted into the water, her hypothesis had been correct.  It didn’t hurt at all.  An air bubble, created by Silena, quickly encased them, allowing Derek, Bryn, and Rachel to breathe normally.  Silena didn’t need an air bubble to breathe considering her heritage.

“So did that Pirates of the Caribbean just slip out or did you mean to say that?” Derek laughed.

“I just wanted to say it.  It’s an epic line, you have to admit.  We need to get out of here.  They’re going to scan the water until they find us.  Let’s swim away from here and resurface at a random place,” Bryn said.  No one could come up with a better idea so that’s what they did.  The swim took a couple hours.  Bryn passed the time by figuring out what to do once they reached Garden of the Gods.  How were they supposed to find the way underground?  Surely there was a trap door or hidden cave they had to get to?  That was the only thing she could think of.

“Guys, we’re about seventy miles from Hoover Dam.  The Romans and Ryan’s troops are good at finding us but they’re not that good.  Plus, I’m getting tired.  Let’s resurface here,” Silena suggested.  Bryn wanted to keep going but chose not to argue.  Silena did look tired and the granddaughter of Poseidon and Athena needed to preserve her strength for what they had ahead of them.  The group floated to the top and paddled over to land.  They dragged themselves onto the small beach, collapsing on their backs and taking in the fact they’d jumped over two hundred feet into Hoover Dam.

“I’m never going to that damn place again,” Rachel grouched. “Two times I’ve nearly been killed there!”

Derek snorted. “What a dam trip.”

Silena grinned. “What a dam swim.”

“You’re both so dam immature,” Bryn joined in, giving a small laugh.

“And yet you join in,” Derek pointed out.

“You’re all dam insane,” Rachel joked.

“We need a good laugh with what’s going on.  All right, let’s get going.  I think we’re on someone else’s property,” Bryn replied.  They all got up and turned around.  The daughter of Zeus was greeted by a rifle in her face.

“Who are you and why are you on my property?” he demanded.

Staring down a gun barrel made Bryn’s heart start to pound uncontrollably, although she refused to let it show that she was petrified.  This man would not intimidate her.

“My name is Bryn Winchester.  These are my friends.  We are being chased.  We jumped in the Colorado River and couldn’t swim any farther.  We mean no harm.  Please lower your gun.  Now,” Bryn ordered, throwing all her Charmspeak into that last command.  Something flickered in the man’s violet eyes.  He started lowering his gun, and just as it was about her hip level, he raised it to her face again.