31- You ruined our lives

"What are the crimes he has committed?" I asked, calmly. 

Officer Lewis typed something onto his computer and turned the screen at an angle so that the three of us could see. 

"Let's see, he is being charged with child molestion, child abuse, rape, and murder." Officer Lewis said. 

I repeated what he said, in my head. I know how how the child molestion, abuse, and rape got there, but the murder? 

"Who did he murder?" Elliot asked.

"Anna and Joesph Contit," Officer Lewis answered. 

"No, no, no, no," Elliot mumbled, quietly. 

I looked at my boyfriend who was shaking. 

"Elliot?" I asked. "Do you know them?"

Elliot turned to look at me and took a deep breath. 

"They were my parents," He replied. My mouth gaped open as I processed what he said. 

"Elli..." I began and rubbed his shoulder as he stared down at his shoes.

Officer Lewis cleared his throat. "Jasper, if you would like to, you can go talk to your father."

I nodded and stood up. Elliot did the same and we followed Officer Lewis down the hall.

"Do you want me to come inside with you?" Elliot asked.

I eyed the door, warily, before shaking my head. 

"I need to do this by myself," I said, meeting his eyes. 

"Got it. If you need anything, I'm right here," Elliot assured me. 

"I love you," I told him and leaned up to kiss him. 

"I love you, too," He chorused and gave me a quick hug. 

"There is a clear screen separating the two of you. You can press the little speaker and then you can talk to each other. There will be an officer who stands in the corner of the room to make sure everything is going well." Officer Lewis explained before opening the door. 

I took a deep breath and entered the room, closing the door behind me. I sat down in the chair and looked straight ahead. My father stared right back at me. 

His light brown hair, now had a few grays here and there. His green eyes still had the bright glow. 

"Jasper?" He called out, squinting. 

"Yeah," I answered with a shaky voice. I cleared my throat and took another deep breath. 

"You've changed, a lot," He commented. 

I gave him a flat look. "It's been 12 years, of course I've changed."

"Well, I wouldn't know since I was in fucking jail because of you."

"Do you realize that you ruined people's lives? You tried to  kill me. You abused and raped me. You murdered Elliot's parents." 

"Who's Elliot?" He asked, his tone of voice becoming angry.

"My boyfriend." 

"I don't approve of this—"

"I don't fucking care. It's my life, you have no part of being in it anymore. You took a 2 year old's parents away. Do have any clue how much that affects him?" I didn't want for an answer. "You fucking murdered two innocent people."

He stared at me. 

I let out a humorless laugh. "I though I'd never say this, but I think you deserve to get executed."