Chapter 37: Grimsley's Adventures Part 3

Back by popular demand, it's Grimsley!

Chandana gave out an almost inhuman screech and reached down to her side for her small pistol as she saw Grimsley crush the communicator. The young soldier rolled to the side as the bullets from her weapon spewed by. Grimsley could hear Ronald trying to calm down the leader of the Red Scarf gang as the two panicked.

The pile of electronics that used to represent the communicator fizzled and sparked on the ground next to Grimsley. He had ducked behind one of the many conveyor belts in the production room for cover but he needed an escape route before he was killed.

The door he had entered wasn't the best option now; Chandana's crazed firing was usually hitting it. So where else could he leave? And how long before the military came to rescue him? Another bullet whizzed by his head. They were coming in waves now as Ronald would sometimes grab hold of Chandana to keep her from firing before she would shake him loose and try again. Luckily for Grimsley, the tussle had to two staying in one place, rather than coming over and flushing him out.

Grimsley took in a deep breath. It was time to remember some of that militia training back in Easley. What to do when stuck in a factory with a psycho gang leader and her gun. Grimsley sat still for a moment, stumped. Actually, they hadn't ever covered that drill in training. Or anything similar to it. Come to think of it, much of the training had involved shooting at cans all day. What Grimsley wouldn't do for his tank right now.

Sirens started going off in the base, warning of the approach of the military. Chandana gave out her scream again and threw the gun across the room. It smashed against a wall just behind Grimsley, after having flown right over his head. He looked back and saw it lacking a clip in the bottom; she must have run out of ammunition.

"I'm going to find you Grimsley," Chandana's voice rang out, filled with anger and malice. "And when I find you, I'm going to tear your head off!" There was an "oomph" sound as Ronald tackled Chandana to keep her from going insane and controlling herself. He understood the importance of trying to leave before the army showed.

Grimsley though, had better ideas. He could play with anger, the same way he had played with Gretta's whenever they were arguing, back as kids (and all the way through until the present). "You'd have to catch me first Chandana! And I don't think you have what it takes to do that." Grimsley was slowly moving behind the conveyor belt, looking for another doorway. Even though Chandana had lost her gun, he was still certain she would lunge for him if he tried the entrance he had come from. "You might not have enough time to catch me anyways. Once they find the infamous Red Scarf gang, you criminals and thugs will be rounded up in an instant, no questions asked."

"Thugs? Criminals? What are you talking about?! We are nothing that you speak of! Do you not know what..." Chandana paused mid-sentence. "Ronald, what did you tell him!? We're a gang? No, no, that's not how it's supposed to...argh, I'll kill you too!"

There was a loud crash and Ronald tumbled down to the floor, before scampering away from the enraged Chandana. "Wherever you are boy, run!" he shouted as he hurried out the door.

"Thugs?! We are not thugs! We are freedom! We are tomorrow's future, the saviours of the planet and harbingers of peace. How dare that old coot tell you otherwise!" Without Ronald containing her, Chandana began roaming around, stalking her prey.

"Tell me, Chandana, just what does the Red Scarf gang do then?" Grimsley saw an opportunity to buy time here. Criminal masterminds were always looking for a chance to monologue about their passion and plans. If he could just find a door...

"We are not a gang. We are a rebellion! You must be living under a rock to have never heard about us from years ago, when they captured our old leader, Allyson. It was you military scum who took her from us! Now I carry the burden of the million souls in my red scarf."