Chapter 140.5: Epilogue

Light. It crossed through his mind. It swam across his vision. But it was so rare. It was always darkness around him, never the light. He had not seen the light for...he did not know anymore. He felt there was a time when he had seen it once, or else how could he even know what it was? When that was, what life was like then, what he was like, who he was, he did not know any of this.

There it was again. From the sea of darkness he was always submerged in, a trail of light would streak across in front of him. But now it would not disappear. It was a cut, an open sore on his world. He had never moved before, never felt his arms or legs in motion, but now he felt compelled to. He couldn't stop himself. He had to reach out, to try and touch the light, grasp it, feel it in his hands.

Could light be felt?

He wasn't sure. But he would try. His mind was suddenly on fire, electric shocks coursing through his muscles as they sprang to life. His fingers twitched, they reached forwards.

And they disappeared.

They seemed to go straight through the light, but he did not comprehend where they could be going. They just seemed to stop existing once they were through the light. He could still feel them though. When he pulled his arm back, his hand came into existence once again. Curious.

He pushed through once more, now both hands, at once. It seemed the ribbon of light was only so wide, but perhaps it could be made wider. Could he pull it apart? Could he draw in even more light? He had to know, he wanted to know.

At first, there was resistance. Then the light gave in. It sagged and it curved as he pulled it apart. And it grew in size. There was more of it, growing stronger, getting brighter. The rip continued to grow, stretching downwards lengthwise, continuing to increase in size and girth.

The light stung his eyes now, but he would not stop. He was pull out of the darkness, pulling away. His mind was becoming confused, melting away inside his head, only to be replaced by something new. Or was it something new? Some sort of mind he had had before. A life he used to lead. Where was he?

A hand burst out from the red core, then the second, and finally a male head lifted out. The lifeless corpse of Ur'Wrath oozed blood and fluids onto the earth, and fresh blood and internal liquids now spilled forth from its ruptured chest. The corpse rested on the edge of an enormous crater, the scope of which could not be fully comprehended by the man as he continued to pull his body from within the heart of the monster.

All these names, these things, kept coming back to him. And questions. It felt like he had been doing something, lived another life, and that this mountain of flesh and metal he now stood upon was what he had once been, this Ur'Wrath.

His brain hurt, but it didn't stop him. His entire body hurt now, but nothing could stop him. His skin burned in the sun, his body trembled in the breeze, his mind buzzed, but still he would not stop.

Carter Veillon took in his first full breath of air in a long time.