Chapter 19: Lakes and Naps

Porter was rather ecstatic today. After stumbling through yesterday and finding himself in two different agreements he was feeling a little freer, particularly because he had no classes today. He ducked into the small room where he was to meet Mr. Shotuku for his training, hoping that it wouldn't be too long and he could resume a day of being lazy. He had made sure that he was not late for the appointment; instead he was early to guarantee he wouldn't get a beating. Within the room Mr. Shotuku was looking over a photo of Aunt Shauna that had a little signature and note on it from her. The old man hardly heard Porter enter and the student nearly turned and ran back out at the sight.

"Umm...sensei?"

Shotuku scrambled to tuck the paper away inside a pocket on his robes. "I...what are you...why are you here?"

"I came early to our training. You said not to be late."

"Not being late does not mean being early! Come right on time!" The black slipper style revealed itself, smacking Porter in the face with footwear turned into a bullet. "That shall be your first lesson. Now, let us meditate."

"Yes master," Porter mumbled through swollen lips as he complied.

"I want you to imagine your chi, Porter, as a calm lake sitting in a forest. Only the winds of your emotions can stir the surface of the lake. But you must control these winds. You do not want the lake to be caught up with waves that crash along the coast. Instead you will want to build a little river out of the lake, and make a dam for it." Mr. Shotuku stopped and listened to Porter's faint snoring. "Lazy student!"

Porter sprung up out of his seated position and stood as though he was being called to attention, and he immediately covered his face to avoid being hit. "But it was just so serene sounding sir."

"Fine, perhaps you are not ready for the training yet! Out you terrible student. Return to me when you understand the scope of your burden." Shotuku kept the slipper on his foot and instead used it to boot Porter right out the door.

The rejected pupil shook his head a little at what had just happened. What a fantastic way to start the day, to have his first training class and to be subsequently kicked out of it. He sat and pondered a little about the passing event and oddly thought about Grimsley for a bit, wondering how things were going in his training...

* * * * *

Grimsley was panting. The boot camp workout he had been going through had been horrific. He and his tank had been picked up in a massive transport ship that floated through the air like an enormous bloatfly and while on it the training had commenced before they arrived at the capitol.

Even though he had been fortunately deemed a driver of a vehicle, Grimsley still had to be physically at a level akin to an infantry soldier and that wasn't easy. The militia conditioning at Easley had prepared him mildly at best for this kind of exercise. Thankfully it had ended for the day, letting him practice in his tank for the rest of the night, or at least in a simulator to avoid actually destroying something.

The Goliath-killer class tank had been a big hit with the other soldiers and had grown immensely popular, so much so it had been dubbed The Apocalypse, as it was one of the only weapons these regular men could use against the titanic Goliaths. And so whenever Grimsley went near it he was met with a raucous cheer by his fellow soldiers. Even the other drivers of vehicles would support him as they had tremendous respect for the ageing machine.

Grimsley patted it along the side and sighed. He missed Easley and working on the tank in the barn. And he missed the young group of pilots he had met. He had always hoped he too could go up to the academy but he was too desired for the militia. But at least now he could be a war hero and be that brave man he had always wished to be, especially so that he could return home to Raven and be showered by her flowery love.

A missile shot through the air, colliding with the rear engines of the ship and sending shudders through its hull. Grimsley barely managed to keep his footing as everything started to shake and vibrate. Then the drop began, slow at first, but gaining speed as the whole vessel started to lose altitude and sink towards the ground. Warning klaxons blared and men could be found running around in panic as they scrambled to prepare for the impact.

Grimsley was caught up in the confusion and pulled aside a passing soldier when he got the chance. "What's going on here?"

"Missile got us, really powerful one at that."

"But where did it come from? Aren't we travelling towards the capital city?"

"No? Didn't you hear? We got redirected to Narrius just last night. They need more reinforcements there after some sort of incident." The soldier broke away and dashed down the hall, leaving Grimsley in a stupor. They were being sent to the battlefield already? Seemed like he would never get to see the capital city at this rate.

With no other options, he boarded The Apocalypse and strapped himself in. This would be a harsh collision. Survivable? Maybe. Grimsley's heart was beating faster and faster as the ship's descent sped up. His stomach was doing flips in a continuous loop. His hands were getting sweatier. He grit his teeth as he heard the tip of the ship smash into the ground and prepared for the ripple to pass through to him. And he thought of those he left behind...

* * * * *

Porter got a weird pain in his chest, a sudden tightening as though he were immensely nervous and stressed. It was like a panic attack, a pulsing fear overcoming his body, and then it was gone, along with his thoughts about Grimsley. Probably nothing though.

Riya came by around the hallway to find Porter sitting outside a small closet door and gave him a little confused smile. His errant nature was just a tiny bit charming in her eyes and she didn't think it too unbearable to have him following her around for a bit to protect her.

"Why are you on the floor Porter?"

"Oh...well I was just...umm are you still feeling watched?" Porter gave her a little grin in an effort to deflect attention from himself.

"It's not that bad today. I think maybe having you around just makes me feel better," Riya said with a smile.

"Me too!" Porter blurted out and he instantly regretted it. Riya flushed with embarrassment and Porter felt his own cheeks growing hotter. The two were stuck in silence for a bit, locked in an emotional limbo. Then the first little giggle began, coming out of Porter's mouth before he could control it. And Riya followed and soon the two were laughing in the halls so hard tears were rolling down their faces and those who passed were struck with thoughts of how weird those two looked laughing about nothing.

And the two didn't notice the humming in the air nearby or the little flicker, where something seemed to appear for just a second before blending back into the surroundings. For now, they laughed instead.

A/N: What is going on in the academy?! Weird noises and strange followers, or just paranoia? And what about Grimsley? Is this the last of the plucky young hero?