Chapter 17: The New War

Nami ran her hands over her shirt to straighten out the little wrinkles and she adjusted the small bow in her hair. She was just outside the cafeteria once more, looking in at Chase and Ardwen. The pair had finally separated after Nami had picked herself up off the floor and gone back to her room. Now Ardwen was going through various papers and textbooks while Chase was surrounded by his fans once again.

It would be tough for Nami to get at Chase while he was in the middle of being adored. He would probably just assume she was caught up in the moment. That was no way to make a boy think you liked him when actually you were using him for making your real crush jealous.

She looked over at Ardwen. He was sitting alone, deep in his studies and unable to focus on anything else. The only time he moved was to adjust his glasses back up his nose as they slid off.

In between the two boys in the middle of the room was Raul, who was busy watching both of them at once while meditating. While his eyes were closed everyone knew he was completely aware of everything in the room and was ready to strike if anything were to happen.

Nami started to calculate between the three options in the room. Chase was untouchable at the moment. Ardwen was locked up in books. Raul was deep in meditation and probably never talked to girls anyways. But Chase and Ardwen seemed to fight more than Porter and Chase, so what if Nami used a double jealousy approach? To pretend to like Ardwen so as to make Chase jealous enough to like her so as to make Porter love her so she could marry him and the two could be happy forever.

The conniving girl's eyes glittered as she thought of herself twirling around in a white dress, with a very manly-looking Porter in a tuxedo there to catch her as she fell from dizziness and the couple giggled a little in a chapel devoted to St. Enia.

Ardwen hardly looked up from his work as Nami took a seat beside him and batted her eyelashes a bit. "Whatcha doing Ardwen? Looks important."

"Studying up on some different battle tactics. This particular page is devoted to the Argen Flip movement devised by General Vinnius Argen in 2153. I think it would have been helpful during the battle at Easley. We really should have been more prepared." He held up a different paper for Nami. "This one covers medical procedures when dealing with burns produced by the recoil of using chi. It's a serious condition pilots deal with."

Nami's eyes were drooping and she very nearly fell asleep listening to Ardwen talk. "Yes that's really interesting Ardwen. Real interesting." She looked around the room and noted that Chase was glancing over their way. A wicked grin played across her face for a second. She pressed closer to Ardwen and wrapped her arms around his own. "You know you were really brave and smart in that battle."

Ardwen blushed a little and fixed his glasses sheepishly. "Oh well I mean...I'm just doing my job as the squad leader and all."

"Hey there Nami." Chase had just sat down on the other side of the scheming girl and was giving out his (patent-pending) smile.

Nami felt a little sickened inside by the cocky ace's moves but she sucked it up and turned to look at him. "Hi Chase!" she said with an over-pronunciation of her false excitement.

"I just couldn't help but notice that you were hanging out with this dude when you could be basking in the glow of a battle-hardened champion." Chase looked past Nami at Ardwen and saw the young man grinding his teeth.

"Yes Chase, I was there too," Ardwen spat. "I remember just how useful you were in that particular battle. You really gave it to that Ramirez character. Now if you'll excuse us, I believe Nami and I were discussing war tactics and we were having quite a nice time." The sarcasm of Ardwen's voice nearly dripped out of his mouth.