Cheater

“Nice to see you two are getting reacquainted” He as now holding her head in his hands, he was looking deeply into his eyes and she was smiling her sarcastic smile. He had this look on his face as I said it he dropped his hands and just stared at me, I was stood with my feet apart, hands on hips and pissed off pout on my face.

“Whoa… no Sophie it’s not what it looks like” I stared at her face, her eyes were flitting between him and me obviously sensing that he was going to choose me over her… again.

“You know what it looks like Riley, it looks like were over” I stared into his eyes followed by hers “And as for you… I bet your happy he didn’t have to choose aren’t you? Because we know how that ended last time” She lunged for me but I was ready, if she even got within kicking space of me I would scratch her stupid baby blue eyes out.

Riley had grabbed her around the waist before she had even gotten close. I could feel my heart breaking with every hand that touched her as he pulled her closer to him.

“No Sophie, listen to me. It is not what it looks like” Riley held out one hand, I just looked at it coldly until he dropped it down by his side. I heard the twinkling of the bell as the café door opened behind me, no wonder Riley had brought her here, I never came here. But as he hadn’t bothered to check in and make sure I was okay, he collapse and need emergency assistance. Mothers orders, not mine.

“Sophie?...” I heard Lukas’ voice but I just stood there staring at Riley, then I turned around and smiled. He looked between me and Riley and Imogen like he wasn’t sure what part he was playing in our messed up version of Hamlet. “Are you okay?” I guess he was going to play the caring one.

“Yeah, I’m fine. It’s not like I’ve lost anything important” I felt terrible inside, and the façade of the popular uncaring girl sure was coming in hadn’t now. I just needed to get home before I exploded.

“That’s not what I heard” I spun around, what had Imogen just said? I looked at her and then my eyes flicked to Riley who was cautiously looking at my feet. Great, so he’d told her, the biggest slut and gossip in the history of school that I had lost my virginity. Thank a lot Riles.

NOT!

“Do you want me to drive you home?” I could tell Lukas now felt increasingly awkward, I just stared at them with my heart shattered inside me, I felt broken and empty like I needed repairing. I was used and abused; old goods.

“Uh huh” I said feeling numb.

Lukas was eighteen, and he’d been held back a year when he was in year eight because his mother had gotten sick and he needed to take care of her. And that was all I knew about him. That he was a shy, quiet guy who really loved his mother.

I was sitting in his car, looking out of the windscreen wondering why he was letting me sit here without speaking. Without saying anything, not a word; just letting me sit there.

“Are you really okay?” He asked cautiously, like he expected me to yell at him or burst into floods of tears. The second option was somewhat more likely though I didn’t want to do either.

“Well,  I don’t know to be honest” I felt numb all over, how could the only guy I ever cared about treat me like this. How could he lie to me, pretend he loved me, and cheat on me with my supposed best friend? Life wasn’t fair.

Was I being punished for something, what had I done to deserve to lose so many people in such a short time. Why was god (if he exists) punishing me like that?

“I’m sorry, I mean if it helps at all, he must be mad to treat you like that” I laughed feeling cold inside.

“You barely know me” He replied swiftly and carried on talking. And I had never known someone who could see into the depths of my soul and pull out everything I was thinking by just looking into my eyes.

“I know. But I can tell there is a lot more to you than what it seems. At school you’re just, Riley’s girlfriend, the popular one, and the pretty one. But out of school your different, you look kinder, and defenceless. Especially when Riley isn’t around, you look kind of scared. And the way you talk it’s like you’re missing something really important”  I let my jaw hang open.

“How did you, I haven’t ever- Your amazing” It didn’t take long after that. Not for me to consider Lukas my best friend, and the newest addition to the permanent residence of my house. He was always terrified to come over, and was more comfortable when my mother wasn’t at home, which suited me fine. And I never spoke to Riley again… the end.

No, I’m only joking!