11

The cuts were all different. Some newer, some several days old, and some were almost faded into white scars. Why? What made him do that?

I frowned at the sight.

Was I just imagining things since I was tired? After all, the only light that allowed me to see anything was from a porch light outside, and it was very faint. So maybe I could be seeing things.

I decided to sleep and try to see the next morning. I thought I could possibly try talking to him about it if the cuts truly were there.

I hoped for the best, and drifted off to sleep as my mind lingered on the possibilities of whatever caused him to harm himself. Parents, family, people at school, himself...

I woke up before he did. Unfortunately, the bright sun that flooded the room allowed me to see that there was, in fact, cuts on his arm. Actually, they were worse than they had appeared when there was just a small bit of light.

Michael woke up as I was in the bathroom. When I came out, he was sitting up.

"Good morning." I stated.

"Morning." His voice was raspy. It was adorable.

His sleeve was pulled down, but I decided to ask about it anyway. I hesitated, trying to think of a good way to mention it. Would it be better to just say nothing at all? No, I didn't think so.

"So, um, Michael..." I started.

He looked at me as his cat jumped onto the couch, making its way into Michael's lap. He picked it up and cradled it, though his eyes remained on me.

"Yes?"

"Last night, I- I saw something... And I don't really know how to say this... But I just want to make sure you're alright... Well, you're obviously not alright. That was stupid of me. But, if you need to talk about anything... I- I want you to know that I'm here." I got out.

His emerald eyes widened as he realized exactly what I was talking about.

"I- I'm sorry. I should've made sure you didn't. God, you probably hate me now." He worried.

"No, Michael. I just... Do you want to talk about it?" I offered. Did he feel alone? I didn't know, but I couldn't just let him keep it all inside. I was worried.

"It's okay. Do you want to go get breakfast?" He asked. I decided to allow the change in subject. After all, we didn't know each other very well. I wouldn't open up to him about something like that, either.

"Sure." I smiled. He smiled back and we left.