8

The first thing I registered was the music.

Loud, upbeat music filled the house that belonged to the host of the party. It didn't seem like a typical high school party, though, where every surface was littered with red solo cups and empty shit glasses, the full ones being held in hands.

Instead, the teenagers around us took sips out of their water bottles, though I assumed it wasn't water. They drank out of a wide range of cups, and only about half of my peers were consuming alcohol.

Of course, there were people making out. Not as bad as it's portrayed in the movies or in the books, though. Those scenes describe it as if every corner is claimed by a couple sucking each other's faces off, each room in the house taken by a couple getting dirty. They make it seem as though you can't look anywhere without seeing a heated couple.

Instead, most of the couples left, at least to their cars, if things got past making out. A couple of corners were filled with couples, and maybe a couple of the bedrooms.

Mostly, couples were just hanging all over each other.

A girl was sitting on a boy's lap on a dark loveseat, and his hand was up her dress. That was probably the most disgusting thing I saw all night, and I quickly turned away.

I decided to go into the backyard. Calum and Ashton were nowhere to be seen, and I felt so awkward. The back yard had less people, and most of the people that were out there were gathered either in or around the pool.

I opened the sliding glass, easing it shut once I stepped into the cooling air outside. The sun was beginning to set, painting the sky with streaks of soft orange and pink.

It was pretty. I loved sunsets. For a few minutes, I zoned out. My eyes were glued to the sky as the tones shifted, slowly fading into darker versions of themselves.

A girl screeching is what jolted me back into reality. Unfortunately, I was still surrounded by a bunch of people that I didn't know. Some of them were looking at me.

I could only imagine how odd I must have looked. A boy with a black skater skirt, a loose, maroon t shirt, and combat boots. A boy wearing makeup and staring up at the colorful sky. A boy who smelled like vanilla due to my perfume and who had silver, sparkly nails.

I blushed as I thought about it, but simply ignored them. I was closer to the pool than I had originally planned to be, but I feared that it would give off the wrong impression if I moved away.

As I thought about it, I heard a slightly familiar voice behind me.

"Hey, skirt boy." It said. The kid in my seventh class of the day. Ugh.

I turned around to look at him, fearing the worst.

He smirked at me before harshly pushing me over.

I felt my body hit the water in the pool before my clothes started to absorb it.