16

"Luke, you actually called!" Michael exclaimed from the other end of the phone. I smiled.

"Of course I did. I said I would." I chuckled.

"Yeah, but I just didn't really expect you to." He answered.

"Well, I did." My lips were still turned up into a smile.

"I'm glad you did." He replied.

"Me, too."

It was quiet for a moment before he sighed.

"Luke, can I ask you something?" He questioned.

"Of course."

"Why do you even bother talking to me? Seriously, I'm some weird loser kid who doesn't care about school and everyone hates. You're a smart, gorgeous boy that is so sweet and caring." He sighed.

"Michael, you're not a weird loser kid. And everybody doesn't hate you." I responded. It was quiet for another moment.

I wondered if I had said the wrong thing and somehow upset him. Oh, god. I started to panic before he said something.

"Not according to what they say about me." He scoffed. I frowned at his words.

"Michael, they don't mean it. They take any bit of rumor or negativity they can and twist it around to be even worse. They talk shit about people for fun. You can't worry about what they think. Most of them don't even know you." I responded.

He thought about my words. Or so I assumed, for it was nearly silent for almost three whole minutes.

"Thanks." He said.

We were on the phone for almost four hours that night. After we got off, I ate dinner, showered, finished my homework, and went to bed.

I was pretty satisfied with how my day turned out. I practically spent the whole time with Michael, which I felt was beneficial to both of us.

I was definitely falling for him, but I didn't care in that moment. I couldn't imagine any negative consequence except for him not liking me back.

I didn't imagine any way he could be taken from me, or all the miserable possibilities that any relationship or even deep feelings for the blonde boy would bring.

No, I lingered on the good images. Dating him. Watching the sunrise and sunset together. Moving in together. Getting married. I thought about forehead kisses and interlaced fingers and sweet words exchanged.

With happy thoughts flooding my mind, I slowly fell asleep.