Chapter Twenty Five: Defying Gravity

Jasper

Lana flies by me in fear and understanding. "Lana, what's wrong?" She doesn't give me an answer, just continues into the ladies room. What's going on?

If it weren't for the group of women watching me, I would have followed her. They have been gazing at me with misplaced desire since I came into their line of view. Lana has only been in the restroom for a minute when I realize that something is terribly wrong. I can't feel hers or Bella's emotions.

Alice appears beside me, dread is her most prominent emotion. "They're gone!"

Gone? No... she can't be saying what I think she is. NO!

"What?" It comes out as a growl. "How?"

"I'm so sorry, Jazz! I didn't realize that it was Bella's decision that changed the vision. Lana did, she tried to stop her, only she didn't reach her in time."

"Where is she?" I demand, anger is coursing through me. She's gone... Lana chased after Bella to their deaths... I have to stop her!

"In a taxi, she's following Bella." Alice touches my arm, hopeful. "There is a slight chance that she can stop, Bella."

I look down at her with hard eyes. "Why didn't you see it before?"

"Bella didn't make her decision till the last second."

"I'm going after her." I say through my teeth. Desire to protect what's mine overwhelms me.

I walk around her but her iron grip halts me. "Jasper, you can't. She's the only chance we have to reach Bella alive."

"I don't care, I can't risk her life, Alice. I just can't." I try to shake her off but she holds on tighter. I need to get to my Lana now, before it's too late.

"Think about it, if you stop her, she'll lose her powers if Bella dies." Her words cause me hesitate.

When Lana explained to us about what would happen to her if Bella dies, she was forlorn and fearful over the thought of losing her powers. Losing her powers and Bella at once would destroy her. Damnit! What am I supposed to do, then?

Alice continues when she notices my hesitation. "And if you show up too early, one of you, if not both of you could get hurt." She steps closer to me. "You know I'm right, just wait for the others."

"I can't!" I don't want to...

Alice's eyes glaze over and her hand tightens further. A half a second later, she smiles. "You can, and you will." She drags me back to our seats as she continues. "She's a Protector, if anyone can can hold the tracker off, it's her."

"That doesn't particularly make me feel better, Alice." I answer in a aggravated tone.

Why did she do this? Why didn't she bring me with her? I could have helped, kept them both safe and killed the tracker. I have plenty of experience to take him down without an issue. Now, I have to sit and wait as my life travels further and further away from me. Not to steal Lana's word, but, fuck!

Alice opens the letter Bella had written to her 'mother' and it turns out to be a letter for Edward. Alice reads it out so I can hear. Apparently the tracker has Bella's mother and that's why she planned her escape. To trade her life for her mother's. She even mentions for me to take care of Lana for her.