Chapter Twenty Two: On The Run

Jasper

Lana is riding on my back as we speed through the woods. Her emotions are wild, but anguish has been prominent from the time the nomads stepped into the field. At first, I didn't understand. She also felt hatred, which had bewildered me even more, at the time. It was almost as if she recognized the coven.

It wasn't until I felt the tracker's surprise as he looked at her and called her an Alkina Protector, that I knew exactly why she felt the way she did. He is one of the vampires that killed Nikolus and Brooke, and now, he wanted to do the same to Lana. My Lana.

It took all the strength I possess not to kill him in that moment. I had to lock myself in place that way I couldn't rip him to shreds—I had to stay calm so my family wouldn't be put in more danger, along with Lana and Bella.

He was pleased when he noticed the pain in her eyes at his words. His eyes remained on Lana until we fled, his excitement and anticipation kept growing the longer he observed her. She didn't back down, she glared daggers at him as her hatred intensified.

We are running at full speed, arriving at the Jeep in less than five seconds. Edward throws opens the rear door, placing Bella inside as Alice springs up into the passenger seat. He orders us to strap her in once we are all inside the vehicle. Lana does it quickly before pulling out her phone. She hits Sebastian's name before placing the phone to her ear.

He answers on the second ring. "Hey, little sister. Still playing ball?"

"No. Where are you?" Her tone is fierce, and her emotions are all over the place as her eyes begin to glow that luminous shade of grey.

"Well, I just finished putting a spare tire on Nan's Jeep. We are about to head home."

"No! Don't come home! You can't come home!" She almost shouts as fear appears within her.

"Svetlana... what's wrong?" His tone turns worried.

Edward and Alice begin talking about where to bring the girls, Lana doesn't pay attention, she's too focused on keeping her brother safe.

"They're here." Hatred swirls through her at those words. "The ones that killed our parents."

"What?!" I can hear his anger. "I coming home, right now!"

"NO!" She roars, almost sounding like a vampire herself. "He knows who I am from my eyes, he even used our last name. But, he doesn't know about you. Please, Bash, stay at a hotel or something—anything except come home."

"Lana... I can't let you face this alone."

"I'm not alone, I'm with the Cullens. Please, just do this for me. You're my only blood family I have." I can feel her pain and I instantly pull her into my side, placing my arm around her shoulders, trying harder to calm her.

"No." Sebastian answers in a serious tone.

This is going to turn into a argument.

"No? What the fuck do you mean no? I'm the only female Protector left, which means I'm in charge. You will stay away!" Her voice is commanding with authority that I've never heard from her before.