✶Six: Unexplainable Actions

Svetlana

Wednesday, after school, I go with Bella to meet Charlie at the local diner for dinner. I haven't seen him since the day we returned to town, so when she invited me to join them, I happily agreed. Besides, I know if I don't, the Chief of Police will hunt me down eventually. It's happened several times before.

Once we arrive at our destination, my eyes are already observing the quaint little diner. The huge windows allowing me to see into the dim lighting, showing that the decor hasn't changed since I left. Then I notice Charlie sitting at one of the tables as we step out of the truck and into the chilly air.

With a smile, I lead Izzy inside and let my gaze drift around the restaurant; a multitude of memories with Bash and Paul invading my mind. The second we reach the table, Char is quick to stand up and give me a tight hug. His mood bright with happiness while we exchange greetings.

"I ordered you the onion and mushroom burger. Wasn't that your favorite here?" He questions as he lets me go.

I take my seat next to Bella while nodding, a trickle of surprise entering my expression. "Yeah, I'm surprised they still have it."

He chuckles knowingly. "They don't. I told Cora that you were coming and ordered it special."

This is one of the best things about, Char. He is good at observation and never forgets anything. Even the smallest things.

Just then, Cora comes over with our food, almost as if she heard her name. She places a sirloin steak with a side of mashed potato and a couple of rolls in front of Charlie. A chicken salad before Bella. Followed by my delicious looking burger in front of me.

I meet Cora's eyes and she gives me a sweet smile. "Welcome home, Svetlana. I can't get over how grown up you are." She places her hand on my arm affectionately. "And so gorgeous."

"Awh, thank you." After she walks back into the kitchen, I turn my attention back to Charlie, wondering how often he's eaten this exact meal in the last three years. "Maybe you should lay off the steak, old man."

He laughs, his shoulders shaking with the sound. "I'm as healthy as a horse."

He quickly goes back to cutting his food, not seeing a problem with his diet. However, I know if I told Nan about his eating habits, she would intervene in a heartbeat. After a moment, Iz and I share a meaningful glance before she settles her chocolate eyes on her father.

"Dad, I can cook. I did most of the cooking when we lived with mom," my best friend explains, causing him to peer over at her.

Which is true; her and Nan would take turns cooking every other day. As for me, I'm more of a pizza rolls and a microwave type of cook.

Charlie thinks for a second as I bite into my burger. "Renee never could cook." He looks over at her again as he agrees, "Okay, there is plenty of fish and meat in the big freezer."

I know Bella mainly wants to cook so she won't have to come to the diner all the time. She's still not fond of all the attention she gets whenever we are in public. But more than that, she is also worried about his health, like me. A man his age shouldn't be eating steak or pizza everyday. That's my job.

A job that I'm amazing at.

✧✧✦✧✧