Chapter Nineteen: Emotions

So, I'm very nervous about this chapter, I don't feel like it's perfect. But.. I hope you guys enjoy it. Leave comments and vote!

H🦇

Jasper

The small animals scurry away as soon as they sense the predator—me. There is a soft breeze that sways the branches of the trees as well as Lana's loose strands of hair that have come loose, out of her braids. The trees get more diverse the further we travel along. The forest floor is uneven—covered in twisted roots, fallen branches, pine needles, and other debris.

I've been following Lana for a couple of minutes. Scrutinizing her easy, nimble steps as she makes her way further into the woods, easily avoiding the obstacles before her. She is confident, relaxed, and buoyant—knowing exactly where it is that she's leading me. Her feet move in well-defined, silent steps from the years of practice she's had preforming this hobby.

She comes to a stop, looking up through the trees with a serene smile. She has a fondness for the forest. I could feel it every time I've been in the woods with Lana previously, but it's stronger this time. She isn't fighting with Sebastian or training with Kyle—she is more focused on our green surroundings. She tells me that we will be following the trail for about four miles before breaking off. Then, her eyes fall to the ground and she begins moving again. Four miles? How many miles are we going to trek?

She locates what she's searching for a millisecond before I see it. "How far away is this location?" I inquire as I come into contact with the barely-there trail to the west of her house.

She glances back at me with her trademark mischievous smirk. "About eight miles, a little less. Think you can handle it?" She becomes even more spirited with every step she takes.

Using my speed, I propel myself forward—past her. I bring myself into a halt thirty feet up the trail ahead from her in an instant. "I believe I can. The question is..." I pause, tilting my head, wearing a smirk of my own. "Can you?"

She rolls her wide eyes—moving fast, but my eyes easily track her accelerated movements. She moves like a panther; quick, precise, and agile. Surprisingly, she brings herself into an exquisite cartwheel, coming to a halt right beside me—all in a matter of seconds. "Oh, I know I can."

Lana is pleased with herself, and she should be. She's the only one that can really surprise me. Especially since I'm not used to her natural speed, she hasn't used it often around me. She leans up on the tips of her boots, and places a soft kiss on my cheek.

Her lips send a rush of sparks through me, even as she pulls away. Lana takes the lead again, though I'm only a pace behind her. We are advancing faster than either of us would in the public eye. She's just as graceful as I am, yet less still. There is a stillness, even in my movements where hers are more alive. Her mood is elevated and carefree, drawing me in.

Lana almost always has happy undertones in her mood, it's another reason I'm drawn to her. After living in such harsh mood climates for so long when I was turned; I crave to be near blissful, positive moods. And right now, I'm drawn to her like insects to a burning light; compelled forward by the beauty.

"How often did you and you're brother hike when you lived here before?" I ask after minute of silence.

She looks over, not breaking her swift stride. "Mostly the weekends when it wasn't raining. Though, if one of us really needed a hike, we would go when it was raining." Her eyes go back to the trail.