Chapter Twenty: Protectors, Vampires, and Wolves, and Vampires, Again

Svetlana

Sebastian's injured scream echoes through me as I freeze—for the first time ever—my brain blanking. I'm awake, right? Paul is now a huge ass fucking grey wolf. Like the story...

The wolf is the height of a horse, with dark silver fur. I could still tell it was Paul from his emotions. They are still his, just less human and more, well, wolf. Rage, and hatred are his main emotions as he keeps his large eyes on the ridged vampire who is beside me. I should have known. All of the legends are true.

When Paul transformed, his arms... paws lashed out, slicing into my brother, and now, Sebastian is on the ground. Hurt. All I can think is that I need to get to Sebastian. Now.

"SEBASTIAN!" I shout out as I move a step forward—dread is filling me to the core. I repeat his name over and over in my head, but he doesn't answer. Is he.. no. No, don't go there, Lana.

Jasper places his hand on my shoulder as the wolf steps towards us, causing me to pull my gaze from my brother. The wolf is glaring at Jasper as his rage intensifies, he takes another step forward and I know he's going to attack. Jasper releases me and instantly prepares for the oncoming fight.

Oh, fuck this. This is one problem that won't be solved through a fight. I never thought I'd ever think those words, but here I am.

Instinctively, I fling my palm out, allowing the power to flow through me easily. I lift the wolf off the ground, and throw him into one of the thick trees, far from my brother, and us. Idiot.

"BASH!" My brother still doesn't respond and fear begins to set in. My Protector instincts react and I take off towards him, faster than I thought I could move. I feel that it surprises Jasper too, he is just reaching for me again when I bolt.

I reach Sebastian in under three seconds. "Sebastian!" I call his name in my head, getting no reply. Falling to my knees, I see his bloody shirt sticking to his wounds. He's alive! Relief fills me and I can breathe again. I can see the heavy rise and fall of his breathing as my eyes take in the damage.

He has three claw-marks cutting into him from the bottom of his jaw and down his pale chest. Fuck. The gashes are almost as deep as when the knife sank into my stomach during training. The healing process has already begun, and his energy tells me that he will be okay. But, with this damage, it's going to take at least a good twenty minutes for him to heal completely. He's never passed out like this before, so I'm kinda flipping out. My emotions are a in a hurricane, I can't pick one from another.

"Lana, you're across the treaty line. I can't protect you over there." Jasper's voice is almost strangled as fear laces through him, and I know he wants to race over to me. So this is why the vampires still don't go across the treaty line... the wolves still exist.

I look over at him. "I don't need protection—he does." I growl, jerking my hand back in the direction I threw Paul, before I look back down at my brother. He's going to be fine, I just have to get him out of here quickly to make sure everything heals properly. "You're going to have to carry him when I get him back across the line, Jazz."

I hear Jasper's deadly snarl, and Paul's running approach simultaneously. Protect Sebastian. Not looking away from my brother, I throw my hand up again, imagining the wolf wrapped in the purple glow, halting him, before lifting him in the air—holding him there a few feet away from me. It's almost like breathing now.