Chapter Twenty Four: Following

Svetlana

It's dark and cold as I run through the trees. No, not running, floating. I'm floating forward at a rapid speed, faster than I have ever been able to move. My legs are still beneath me, yet I'm advancing around the forest. Fear is flowing through my veins as I continue forward. I can feel the hum of energy, except, it's flowing through my entire body—not just my arm. It's stronger now, than when it flows through my arms...

What is this? Where is she? Where am I?

Buildings and houses come into view when I break through the thick woods, pulling me to a stop. I instantly know that I'm no longer in Forks. I'm back in Phoenix, the heat and view are dead give aways.

"Bella!" I cry out, desperately trying to find her.

Where is she? How could I have lost her?

I fly forward, gliding across the sidewalk. The street and sidewalks are empty of people, like an apocalypse has happened. Where is everyone? I'm not sure where I'm going, I just know I need to find her before it's too late.

"Izzy!" I call out, again.

"You have to protect her." Locking in place, I spin around, startled by the unfamiliar, deep voice and presence that weren't there before.

I look up at the towering figure, even though it's dark, I can easily make out his features. His black, curly hair reaches his sharp cheekbones. A straight, elegant nose, full lips, a strong jaw that's almost squared. He is a spitting image of Sebastian. Only... his eyes aren't blue, they are....

No way....

"Nikolus?" I gasp.

He's... alive?

"Yes, Svetlana." He pauses, gazing down at me in wonderment. I jump forward, hugging myself to him in a way I never thought I would be able to. His arms wrap around me gently. "You look so much like your mother."

I quickly pull away and look around. "Is she here?"

"No, I shouldn't even be here." He moves where he is directly in front of me, placing his hands on my shoulders.

What's that supposed to mean?

"But, I needed to speak with you." His deep, comforting voice turns urgent. "You have no idea how powerful you are, how powerful you will become. The moment your mother and I found out we were have twins, I knew. You will face bigger challenges than I ever had. You have abilities that have never been heard of in our race."

"Why are you telling me this? Where's Bella?" Panic starts to rise again. "I have to find Bella!"

"She's in danger, Svetlana. You have to protect her, you're the only protector that has ever had the gifts to slay vampires easily." He looks at me, hoping I understand.

I don't. "What are you talking about?"

"No Protector has ever been able to move anything and everything they want, to their will. Only you. That gift alone, could have saved our race, but it's far too late for that." He shakes his head. "The fire that runs through you, something you got from my father, it will help efficiently against the blood drinkers." He smiles gently. "And then you have the ability to absorb energy like me, only yours is more effective than mine ever was..."