Chapter 9 - Celebrations

The van drove cautiously, it was being pelted with heavy rain and wind; coming from the direction of their destination. Thunder crackled, causing the front passenger to jump slightly.

  “Appreciate you doing this Donny,” Salvatore said, not breaking any concentration of the road; it was barely visible anyway.

  Donny took a swig of his flask, “Anytime.”

  “I fucking hate storms,” Alonzo Junior held onto his seat as tight as he could.

  “I can’t see a thing,” Samuele popped his head in between the front two seats. 

  “Will you stop saying that I’m nervous as it is,” Alonzo Junior snapped at Samuele. 

  “Okay…what is Albert doing putting himself in danger out here anyways?” Samuele asked. 

  Donny took another swig. He was enjoying the ride; the storm was beautiful. “Don’t you think that after how long Alonzo has been in jail, Albert might want to be there when he gets out?”                           

  Samuele agreed with Donny. Alonzo was a legend amongst the troops, and Albert always respected his younger brother.

  “Can me and Sammy get some heat back here? I’m fucking freezing,” Alonzo Junior asked.

  “It’s on full power Junior,” Donny responded.

   Alonzo Junior cringed when the thunder roared again. Sammy took out his gat out and loaded it up, “Relax Alonzo, if shit gets bad we’re counting on you.”

  Alonzo Junior nodded nervously.

Salvatore started to slow down, the windscreen wipers were still going full throttle. “There’s something up ahead.”

 Donny squinted his half drunken eyes, “Car lights. Two of them,” he had his handgun at the ready, “Lock and load.”

  Alonzo Junior drew his weapon, briefly forgetting his nerves.

  “I’m going to stop here. Sammy call Sin back,” Salvatore pulled over to the side of the road. Water pelted the white van like bullets.

  Sammy prayed for reception, he got it. “Sin, where are you? Yeah we can see them…what do you want us to do? Okay,” Samuele ended the call.

Albert was startled by a knock on the back window, despite knowing who it was. The huge figure of Mike stood holding an umbrella over someone much smaller than himself. 

   “Unlock it,” Albert ordered Sin.

  The young soldier leaned over to the front, and hit the central locking. Mike held the door open whilst Alonzo got in. Alonzo looked just like an Albert only a little younger, with no glasses and with more dark hair. 

 Mike closed the door and walked around to the driver’s side, he closed the umbrella and climbed in. He still managed to get fairly soaked on his mission outside the car.

  The two brothers shook hands excited to be reunited, “We missed you kid,” Albert smiled, giving his younger brother a friendly thump in the arm.  

  “Thanks Al. So what’s with the reception?” Alonzo asked motioning toward the parked cars.

  “We’re thinking Chuck’s guys,” Sin leaned forward so that Alonzo could seem him the other side of Albert.  

  “Alonzo, this is Sin he’s a friend of ours,” Albert made the introduction.

  Alonzo reached over and shook the young soldiers hand, “This fucking storm, the guards used it as an excuse not to escort me out.”