Chapter 35 - Dirty Money - R.I.P

The tension in the room could be cut with a knife. The office was not that well lit as the rain began to lightly fall; the start of storm season was upon Contro City and it was set to kick off today with a ripper. Sin sat leaning back in his chair with both of his legs on the desk crumpling documents. Alonzo Junior leaned impatiently against the closed door, and Salvatore sat opposite Sin with head in hands.

            “I can’t believe it,” Salvatore said, each word sounding shaky.

            “If I didn’t just see it, I wouldn’t believe it,” Alonzo Junior said.

            Sin opened the bottle of scotch on the table and took a large mouthful straight from the bottle. He was trying to hold it together in front of his subordinates; he was a captain now and being weak was not allowed in his personality.

            “I’ll do it,” Sin said, calmly.

            “Don’t worry about we got this,” Salvatore said.

            “Nah, he’s my mistake I need to fix it,” Sin stood up from behind his desk and handed the bottle of scotch over to Salvatore.

            “We’ll come with you,” Salvatore said.

            “No you two stay here.”

            Alonzo Junior’s phone beeped as a text message came through; “Fuck!” he punched the doorframe in anger.

            “What’s wrong?” Salvatore asked.

            “My mum just messaged me, they got my dad this morning,” Alonzo Junior said.

            “Who?” Sin asked.

            “The cops. He’s done I need to get home,” Alonzo Junior kept reading the message hoping it would change.

            Sin nodded, “I’ll get someone else to pick Domenic up.”

            “Want me to?” Salvatore asked.

            “No, I’ll need you here for an alibi.”

             Sin pulled open the desk drawer and removed his gun and put it inside his jacket. “I’ll see you in a few hours.”

            Albert stood outside on his balcony on the third level of his enormous home watching the rain begin to roll in over the city. The wind was starting to bend the trees as blew. Mike opened the sliding door dressed in a grey tracksuit and sporting a concerned looked on his face. “Maybe we should cancel today Al. Alonzo is locked up and Sin just cancelled, it doesn’t sit right.” 

            The boss took his glasses off and wiped them clean and placed them back on his face. He brushed a bit of lint off his beige sweater and took a seat down on one of the chairs. “Alright get me the vest.”

            Mike sighed, “Okay. You want a coffee before we go?”

            “Yeah make it strong, I had fuck all sleep last night. Where is Tanya? She was gone when I woke up,” Albert said.

            “She said she was going shopping for the day,” Mike said.

            Albert looked out over the landscape again, “Not much else to do in this weather.”

            Mike shrugged, “Yeah.”

            “I can’t believe Domenic gets out and Alonzo go’s back in. Fuck our luck,” Albert said, shaking his head.