Chapter 7 - Crackdown

In a small apartment; Donny and Sin sat opposite sides of a dirty glass table on Sin’s balcony. Both men had a bottle of beer in front of them, looking out over the city. 

“You up for this?” Donny asked.

“Of course, how come we’re not using Sammy though?” Sin was disappointed his best friend would not be tagging along; for such a big it. 

“Boss, wants him for something else,” Donny said, a little annoyed that Sin would even be questioning the squad. 

“What about Salvatore? I don’t want Anthony watching my back,” Sin argued.

“Sinny, when Al says something, he does not say it for the fucking sake of saying it my boy.”

 “I know, I know,” Sin quickly corrected himself, “Who’s doing recon?”

“That is where Salvatore comes in,” Donny admired the view from Sin’s apartment; it was beautiful. 

“It’s nice huh?” Sin noticed Donny peering out at the city lights.

“Yeah,” the Irishman scoffed, “Would be good to get high sometimes and sit out here and drink,” he laughed.

“It reminds you of the good things in life,” Sin realized that he probably made the wrong comment, since Donny lived in a ‘shit hole’.

Donny noticed Sin’s regret for saying it, “It’s true, keep going the way you’re going Sinny boy, and one day you’ll wind up as one of the top guys.”

“You think so?”

“You’re already on your way,” with that Donny stood up and left without another word.

“Mike, you ready?” Albert asked, as soon as the big man walked inside the house.

“I’m always ready,” Mike handed Albert his coat off the hanger, before they left in the heavy rain. 

“And drive slow, the road’s are going to be like a fucking skating ring.” 

“Of course,” Mike knew when Al was in one of his moods; to just agree with everything he said, and it did not matter how small and stupid it was.

They stood on Lightspree Avenue, outside Carlos’s tobacco shop, it was an entirely different scene during the day then it was at night. Today was a rare clear blue sky for Contro, the street was still packed out; just with less fiends. Groups walked around sipping hangover cures, and looking at posters of tonight’s events. 

“Where the fuck’s Carlo?” Albert wiped his glasses.

“He should be here soon,” Vincent; the young worker behind the counter answered him.

“Tell him to hurry the fuck up,” Albert snapped; he looked around anxiously trying to make out anyone, doing anything out of the ordinary, but on Lightspree Avenue everything was out of the ordinary.

Young Vincent did not bother to answer instead he was dialing his boss’s number again, as sweat trickled down his forehead. He had never been on the receiving end of Albert’s pissed off mood yet, and he wish Carlos would hurry up.

“Still no answer,” the young man nervously put his phone back in his pocket.

“Fuck.”

“Want me to get Sin down here?” Mike tried to change the subject.