Chapter 30 - Michael

The government car was parked in the busy CBD of Contro City in an underground car park of a restaurant complex. In the driver seat sat a woman in her thirties who Bill introduced as Detective Merraline, next to her was Bill; Contro’s superintendent, head of both police, and Special Forces.

            “You have to give me something Sammy,” Bill said, desperate.

            “I told you, I haven’t got anything I only just got out,” Sammy said, looking out cautiously at other cars entering the vicinity. The car park was a little too well lit and was almost full of cars of people attending lunch at the popular restaurants.

            “You think you’re the first person to use that line?” Bill asked, opening his bottle of water.

            Sammy sighed, he knew if he did not play the game Bill would turn him in and he would be fucked either way. “There’s going to be a truckload of fridges being housed somewhere soon.” The young soldier looked at Detective Merraline and was waiting for her to start bombarding him with questions, as every other detective did when they were first introduced to him; which he hated, each time it felt like the world was growing smaller under him.

            Bill took a swig of his water and swallowed, “Good, so where is it going to be happening?”

            “I honestly don’t know yet, but when I do I will call. They’re trying to get me to be a part of it, but that won’t be happening.”

            “Good man,” Bill said, as he screwed the plastic lid back on to the bottle, “How you going for money? You eating okay?” The superintendent asked.

            “Business is slow, you know? I got to kick most of my shit up to my supervisor,” Sammy said, his voice a little annoyed.

            “And that is?”

            “I don’t know, I’m sure you read the papers. Things are fucked up right now,” Sammy lied, he was not about to rat out Sin as his boss.

            “Yeah I read the papers,” Bill held up the most recent edition of The Contro Chronicles, with the headlines Drug War Massacre: Twenty confirmed dead. “I got to give a press conference on this shit today. You know anything about those narcotics detectives who got clipped?” Bill asked.

            “I just know of the one guy…Thomas Salks, and he was as dirty as they come, but that’s all I know I never dealt with him, he was on Chuck’s payroll,” Sammy said.

            “Yeah we were investigating him for some time, but he was just as hard to get out at the bosses,” Bill said, disappointed.

            “Am I good to go now?” Sammy asked.

            “Yeah, make sure you call about that truck, I don’t want to be let down again.”

            Sammy opened the door and then closed it again without leaving the car.

            “What’s wrong?” Bill asked, curious.

            “Ah, I was just wondering…how Yeral is doing?” Sammy asked. 

            Bill gave a faint smile, “He’s tough. Right now he’s in rehabilitation getting use of his legs again.”

            Rolled was closed and Light Spree Avenue was quiet due to the slightly heavy rain setting in. Sin waited for Alonzo Senior to enter through the fortified door first, which was being held open by Vincent. He felt inside his jacket for the handgun he quickly loaded before leaving the car wash. It felt like Carlos was breathing right down his neck.