Chapter 27 - Homecoming

Sin sat in the passenger side of the van with Alonzo Junior, in the driver’s seat across from Clean Contro’s second most expensive substance rehabilitation centre. It boasted a luxurious cinema, two swimming pools, a gym, and twenty-four hour support from its workers. The front entrance reminded Sin of Albert’s house; the only thing visible amongst the heavy greenery was the driveway that led to the reception.

            They both smiled excitedly as Sammy walked out of the driveway smoking a cigarette with his bag slung over his arm.

             “Pop the boot,” Sin ordered.

            Alonzo Junior pulled the lever inscribed with a picture of the boot opening; nothing happened. “Fuck.” Alonzo Junior shut the car off and removed the keys both Giuseppe men got outside the van and Alonzo Junior unlocked the back with keys.

            Sin gave his best friend a hug and took his bag for him, “Good to see you Sammy.” Sin passed the bag to Alonzo Junior to throw inside the boot.

            Sammy took a draw of his cigarette, “Good to see you to, I got my shit straight in there…though it felt like fucking forever.”

            Alonzo Junior shook Sammy’s hand and patted him on the back, “Welcome home. Where do you want to go first?”

            “I just want a fucking burger and a beer,” Sammy said.

            “You allowed drink beer?” Sin asked, concerned.

            “One wont set me off,” Sammy said, reassuringly.

            “Tanya’s?” Alonzo Junior asked.

            “Yeah Tanya’s,” Sin said, sliding open the side door for Sammy.

            “What about cigarettes, aren’t they an addictive substance?” Sin asked.

            “Why the fuck are you breaking my balls for? I just got out…go and ask them they encourage smoking in there, Jesus.”

            “Alright, alright, let’s go,” Sin said.

            “Donny going to be there?” Sammy asked.

            “Probably,” Sin said, looking back over his shoulder at Sammy.

            “I got to apologize to the guy,” Sammy said, clicking his seatbelt in. 

            “That’d be a good idea,” Sin said.

            “So we got Premilli Plumbing, Giuseppe Concreting, six of my guys as supervisors, and Alonzo as a consultant?” Albert asked Ted, the builder he helped obtain the contract to the three high rises being built.

            Ted took his hard hat off and traced the dirt on the ground with his foot. He was in his mid fifties and with Albert’s influence on the unions he made a lot of money, and won a lot of contracts in Contro City. “Sounds about right, we’re just waiting to cut through a bit of red tape with planning and we’ll be right to start in a couple of weeks.”

            “Good. Anything I can help you with on the red tape issues?” Albert asked.

            “No, it’s nothing really…just formalities,” Ted said, picking up a rock off the ground and looking around at all the dirt that would soon be getting dug up for the foundations of the building to be laid out.