Chapter 22 - Expansion

The unit was located on the twenty-third floor of the forty-story building. It had two bedrooms, an office, and a small living room; Chuck and Leila walked around the kitchen as Leila, tried to soak everything it.

“I can’t believe it,” Leila squeezed his hand.

            “You better. Sorry about the furniture,” Chuck said, sadly.

            “Well, there is none,” Leila said, still excited about the biggest surprise of her life.                

            “There is a walk in wardrobe in your bedroom though,” Chuck said, as he led Leila by the hand toward the main bedroom that overlooked the CBD of Contro. 

            “The light is on,” Leila said, nervously as she could see the light coming out from under the door of the walk in wardrobe.

            Chuck pulled out his gun and approached cautiously, he grabbed the knob and turned it quickly – he looked inside quickly and jumped at Leila laughing who was standing with her mouth wide open. The shelves had been stacked from top to bottom with bundles of cash. The entire wardrobe was full of money.

               "I guess you will have to buy some," Chuck said to a speechless Leila. 

            Chuck’s warehouse was now more like a fortress with twenty-four hour security. Guards patrolled with dogs, two specially built towers housed ex military snipers; equipped with night vision goggles, and five of his most ruthless men were stationed at the front gate at all times. Anyone coming or going had to pass through them; the only other way in was via water at the back of the shipping yard and that would be a suicide mission, as the back fence was electrified and fitted with motion sensors any breach and the snipers would pick off the intruders.

Inside the fenced perimeter Brendan’s entire crew was at ease in front of the small metal warehouse entrance. Most of them sat around talking and laughing; while others stood tense with guns in hands waiting for orders. Every so often the lieutenant would come out and check on them and look out for any sign of his guests. Charlie was the first to arrive alongside five of his boys who quickly joined the ranks of Brendan’s troops. 

Inside was a few mix-matched tables joined together to make one long one surrounded by chairs.

“No sign of them yet?” Charlie asked, annoyed.

“No, but it is still early,” Brendan said.

“It worries me when shit like this happens,” Charlie said, lighting a cigarette.

“With your guys and my guys here we got twenty-five soldiers. No one is fucking with us tonight,” Brendan said, coolly.

“Speaking of which – where is Michael?” Charlie asked. 

“Chuck has some other shit he’s doing.”

The sound of banging on the heavy reinforced side entry door stopped the conversation. Charlie and Brendan walked together and slid open the latch to see Thomas Salks standing accompanied by some of Brendan’s soldiers.

“Let him in,” Brendan ordered, as he slid open the deadlock; he watched one of the dog handler’s walked along the edge of the fence in the distance.  

Thomas Salks was dressed in his usual coat and jeans attire, and sported his wicked grin as he stepped inside onto the cold concrete. “Heavy security you got here aye boys?”

“The operation is expanding,” Charlie said, nodding.

“Oh yeah?” Thomas asked.

“With your help,” Brendan said.