Chapter 16 - Pardon

Sin lay in bed with the sheet covering himself and Cherry.  The only light source came from one of the bedside lamps and Cherry traced her fingernails along his chest. They could still hear the television running outside in the lounge room, and guessed both Salvatore and Alonzo Junior had fallen asleep.

  “That night you asked me who the top dealers were,” Cherry said, burying her head into Sin’s side.

  He tilted his head down to look at her, “Yes?”

  “I told you Big Yellow,” she said.

  “So?”

  “Well that was the last night I ever saw him,” Cherry said, her body stiffened up as soon as she said it, as if bracing for something.

  Sin grabbed her arms and made her look him in the eyes, “What are you trying to say? That I had something to do with that? I had other shit going, plus it turned out he wasn’t the one we were looking for,” he said, defensively.

  “Okay,” Cherry smiled.

  “Okay?” Sin asked.

  “Yeah, okay. We will leave it at that,” Cherry kissed him on the cheek.

  Sin rested his head back on the pillow and closed his eyes.

  Banging on his bedroom door got him up again, “What?” he called.

  “It’s time to go,” Salvatore said.

  Sin looked at his alarm clock, “Fuck,” he jumped out of bed and began throwing clothes on.

  “What’s up?” Cherry asked.

  “Get dressed. I got to work on my business,” Sin said.

  “So are we going to do this again? Preferably not leaving me waiting so long before a visit again,” Cherry said, casually putting her clothes back on.

  “Yeah of course,” Sin said.

  Donny was greeted by two of his security guards at the front of Willows. The two both shook his hand and asked if he needed anything, Donny assured them everything was fine, and they were doing a good job.

  “Hey!” Peter called, as he walked from around the bar to greet the Irishman.

  “Old man,” Donny joked.

  Donny mocked drinking a drink so that the barmaid would start pouring him a beer.

  “Look who is back,” Sammy said, half heartedly as he walked down the stairs.

  Donny looked at the young soldier with a slight annoyance and the tension filled the room. Peter stood strong waiting for something to happen.

  “Drink?” Donny asked Samuele.

  “Sure,” Samuele said.

  The barmaid began pouring another beer.

  Donny sat down at the bar and began scanning the sport section of the newspaper. “Fuck these guys are getting useless,” Donny said, referring to his team losing again.

  Samuele and Peter sat either side of him and peered at the paper, “Three in a fucking row,” Peter said, as he ordered himself a drink.

  “What happened to the luck of the Irish?” Samuele joked.

  “I don’t know probably the same thing that gave me these bumps and bruises,” Donny said, fiercely. 

  Samuele shrugged, “That’s in the past now.”