Chapter Forty-Three

Two hours later, night was in full swing. Our people were ready. We had chosen our spot. It was at the top of Reseda. A place I had fond memories of. If you sat at the top of the hill, the man-hill as my sister and I used to call it, then you could see the ocean. They had built more in the housing since the last time I had come there, but it still held it's wonder. It was still a place of magic- sage grew everywhere, daring the evil to try and taint the land.

We were spread out all over the hills, trails, and paths. Andrew, Konkoers, and I stood in a small clearing. Our bait was Shadowfire. He laid moaning on the ground. A small wound bled from his head. I could feel the tension in the vampires.

“ Was the gash necessary?” I asked Andrew.

“Yes. He must truly be in danger, Kat. The only thing keeping that worm alive in my command. Otherwise, he'd be drained and left nothing more than a shell.” Andrew sneered.

I shook my head.

Shadowfire came to and called out to his Master.

“Master, save me!” It was a pathetic cry for help.

The air thickened with darkness. It was feeding on the desire for blood. The lust made the air void of hope.

Andrew, command them to control their emotions! The damn things is feeding off of it!” Konkoers shouted.

Almost immediately there was a difference.

A figure cloaked in shadows dropped down next to Shadowfire.

“What a fool you are, Shadowfire. I should let them drink you dry.” The voice vibrated with power.

“Master, please...” He begged.

“No.” It was a simple statement.

Just as quickly, Shadowfire's head rolled across the floor. One of the shifter screamed. The scent of blood filled the air. I watched Andrew's eyes turn a bright red.

“Control it, Andrew. He's using your thirst.” I dug my nails into his arm.

“I know, Kat.” He stepped forward.

I pulled out my silver stake. I knew that it was blessed. It was the combination that would burn him. I touched it to his chest. He hissed and stepped back.

“Control it!” I shouted.

“Ah, my little witch. You come prepared.” The Master laughed.

“Show yourself. I know who you are anyways.” I spit the words out.

“You know what I want you to see.” The shadows took shape and revealed the intern that knew where my office was.