Chapter Thirty-Eight

I sat in the chair I had been and watched as a beautiful goblin in a flowing robe stepped into the room.

“You've been letting your mouth get the better of you again, haven't you brother?” She chided him.

“Perhaps, but it was well worth it.” His orange eyes gleamed at me.

“Please excuse my brother, sometimes he does not think entirely before he opens his gob. He really is a good man and the best kind the goblins have ever had.” She smiled at me, it lit up her face.

“I'll try to remember that. I'm Kat Purrowells, by the way.” I held out my hand.

“Ah, you are the infamous Agent Kat Purrowells. I understand a little bit. He'll have this to talk about for months. You've done him a great honor by laying one on him.” She shook her head, “I am Bitsy, the eldest of our family line.”

“It's a pleasure to meet you, Bitsy. I am more than willing to give him more to talk about.” I smiled.

“Boris, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself. I do believe that she is more than capable of ending your existence and I know for a fact that Samuel does not want this job and so far you have only been blessed with girls.” She held her hands up to his nose and a glowing light came from them.

“Yes, Sister.” He said once she had removed her hands.

“It was nice meeting you, Kat. I do hope that you do not beat my brother senseless.” Bitsy smiled and left the room through a side door.

“Now that this nonsense has been tended to. I have information for you, Mistress Kat.” Boris beamed at me.

“And why did you say that you didn't earlier?” My annoyance level was climbing.

“Well, truth be told, I was just being difficult. But putting that aside. The killer that you seek. Is one of your own.” He said in a hushed tone.

“Anything else?”

“Yes, it is a man that is in a role that allows him to go unnoticed- but not from power, rather the lack of it- or so he would have you believe.” His words were confirming my suspicions.

“Thank you, Boris.” I rose.

“Wait, Kat. He is not weak. This is not a fight that you can win through bronze. You must use brains as well. He won't know you suspect him yet, but your time goes close. You must stop him soon or all will be lost. If this happens, the doorway between our worlds will shut.” Boris said- his voice had taken on a faraway aspect to it.

“I will call for Bitsy, Boris.” Andrew said as he left the room.

“Kat, if you love the vampire, let his blood burn bright in yours. This will be the only way to win. You are not human, I don't believe you can become a vampire, but his blood is the key to unlocking your true gifts. You will need them all to survive this.” He slumped back in his chair.

“You have done me a great service, Boris. I will not forget this debt. “ I rose and kissed his cheek.

“Ah, I could die a happy goblin.” He said and covered his cheek where I had kissed him.

“Not today, Brother.” Bitsy came in with a bowl.

“Will he be okay?” I asked.

“Yes, his visions make him tired and a little off, but he will be his same old arrogant self by tomorrow.” She smiled at me.

“Thank you, Bitsy.”

“Save your world, Kat.” She said and went to tend to her brother.

“Let's go home, Kat.” Andrew walked me back to the room where the meal had been- now it was all cleared away.

“Andrew, we need to get back fast.” I said to him.

“Yes, but we need to plan this out. We cannot rush into it.” He held up a talisman from his pocket and the doorway appeared.

“I know.” We stepped through together.

The air was thick with smoke when we landed back on my lawn. At first I didn't understand the sight that was before me. Smoke blew all round us. Fire shot out in front of us. I heard glass exploding.

“Kat, look out.” Andrew threw me to the ground.

“What's going on?” It took a second before I realized that the burning mess was my house. “No!”

I kicked off the heels I had been wearing and hopped the small fence to my backyard. The house was raging. It was obvious that it had been set on fire in various spots. The backyard remained untouched. I ran to the small shack in the back, Andrew was close behind me.

“Kat, what is it?” He called.

“I need you to think of a place that is safe. One that this small building would fit in and would not be bothered.” The words quickly rushed out of me.

“Done.” He told me.

“Hold on.” I grabbed his hand and pulled the spot from his thoughts and grabbed the knob on the door. Just that quickly the spell on my yard broke and the fire began to make it's way towards us. I cast the new spell and we were suddenly in a very dark room- the fire long gone.

“Andrew?” I coughed out, my lungs swore from being so close to the fire.

“One day, you will have to explain to what just happened. But for now, let's go upstairs and tend to your burns. Your closet will be safe here.” He told me as he pried my death grip off of his arm and the knob.

“Are you sure?” All of my magic lineage was locked in it, I had to protect it.

“Yes, Kat. We are in my tomb. No one can enter here. How you were able to is a little shocking to me. Bur I suspect that it has to do with you being you more than anything else.” He laughed and pulled me towards the stairs.