Chapter Forty-One

If you can imagine a huge swap meet, then you can imagine the Uplanders' Depot. The only difference was that instead of humans everywhere, every stall, every potential buyer, was a creature out of mythology.

Gus had to pull me along to keep me from stopping to stare in amazement. There was goblins selling what I thought was purses. Trolls demonstrating weapons. Witches bargaining their brews. Things that I would call ghouls, and I think that they were trying to sell body parts- I looked away quickly. There were wolves selling lots of different things. There were also daywalking vampires. And I kid you not, but a fang dentist.

My mind was officially blown.

“Kat, I will need to refer to you as Mistress in here.” Gus whispered in my ear.

“That will be fine.” I nodded.

“Mistress, I have found a merchant for your attire. His armor is the best that can be found in Upland.” Sophie said.

“Then we must go to this vendor.” I smiled.

I watched in wonderment as we walked through the Depot. I had never seen so many supernaturals together under one roof in my entire life.

Gus just pulled me along. Sophie stood next to a stall full of battle gear. Now this was not the stuff like I had. No, it was awesome. There was scaled leather. I had no clue what beast produced scaled leather and the size that it was. But I was very happy.

“You've done very well, Sophie.” I clapped with excitement.

“Who is this that you bring to me, Sophie? It is not your Master.” Blind eyes turned to me.

“This is my Mistress. At the Master's command, she is to be treated as he would, Hotchkins.” Sophie said quickly and full of pride.

“Ah, but she is not a vampire. Not human either. Not witch. She is a mix and yet, something new.” A forked tongue slid out of his jagged tooth mouth.

“She is standing right before you and will not be spoken of in the third person. Thank you very much.” The air crackled around me.

“Cool yourself magic thrower. You are not known to me. I must know who I deal with. May I have your hand please?” He held out his grey skinned hand.

I looked to Gus who gently nodded. I placed my hand in his. It was warm and smooth. It warmed as he held mine.

“Hmm, interesting. Very interesting. There is much ahead of you, Mistress. You are welcome at my stand and I will provide you anything you need for this upcoming battle. I feel that the troll by the name of Janica will help you. Your cause is worthy, may these things help you defeat this monster. I fear that our communities would be next.” He released my hand and went deep into his things.

I was shocked and confused. How did he know? I looked after him as I listened to him shift things around.

“He is a hobbit of sorts. No one knows for certain who his people are. He just appeared one day here. His wears are the best there are. He has the ability to see things, I think it depends on the person what he can see. I think he must have seen much of you, Kat.” Sophie whispered.

“Interesting.” I couldn't imagine the kind of people he came from, but I was very curious.

“Ah, yes, this will do nicely.” He groaned and headed back toward where we stood.

On the table in front of me, he laid down a jacket of shiny green scales, black leather pants, tall boots, and a hood of smaller green scales.

I lifted the jacket and it was much lighter than I had thought it would be. It was soft on the inside but harder than anything I had felt on the outside.