Chapter Thirty-One

Ever have a headache so bad that you think death would be a better experience? Welcome to what I woke up to. Holy sweet mother of god, my head was pounding. As if that wasn't enough, I felt like I was a mummy.

“Um...”

“Kat.” Andrew's voice was a whisper in my ear.

“Kat!” John was a shout.

“Eh, yeah.” I was confused about what was going on.

“How do you feel?” Andrew asked.

“Like a piano fell on my head and why am I wrapped?” I tried to move and pain swept through me.

“Do you remember what happened last night?” Andrew coaxed.

“Yeah, Shadowfire and the witches that follow him were going to spell us, and there's another murder going to happen. They were going to kill us. No! Andrew, can't be close!” I shook my head back and forth.

I felt myself suddenly go funny.

“What was that?” I blinked out of unison.

“Medication. You have to stay still until we can get more healers in. Kat, you saved my life, but almost lost yours.” Andrew's voice was a calm collection of rage locked away tight.

“Kat, Andrew made it here, he was safe. Last night, I talked to you. You were attacked with the full strength of the spell- alone. It was meant for two, but you took it all by sending him to a safe location without you. We also weren't able to stop the murder. I'm so sorry, Kat.” John told me.

“I didn't tell you how... how to... identify the... victims... what the hell did you give me?” My brain had turned to mush.

“Don't fight it.” Andrew said.

“Whatever... the way to stop... the Master... my blood is special... test me... others...” The world blinked out.

I don't know how long I was out. But when I came to Andrew was the only one at my side.

“Hey tall, dark, and handsome.” I croaked out.

“Let me get you some water.” He returned with a cup with a straw in it.

“Thanks.” My lip cracked when I smiled.

“Why? Why, Kat? Why didn't you tell me to take you with me?” He shook his head.

“We had to stay separate. That simple.” I tried to shrug but it still hurt too bad.

“They found a common marker in your blood to the others. They've run it through the database. There are only about five other people living in the Valley with it. All women. Men have been posted. You almost died, Kat.” A red tear streaked down his cheek.

“Hey, I'm fine, aren't I?” I grabbed his fingers with mine.

“Don't move, love. Most of your body was burned. You have a new haircut too.” He told me.

“Oh, no. Not the hair. Is there a mirror somewhere?” I wanted to see what had happened to my hair.

“I think it's best that you wait until the healers arrive. They should be here within the hour.” He looked down in shame.

“Am I that horrible looking?” I wanted to touch my face.

“No, Kat. You are beautiful. You'll always be beautiful, no matter what. I should have been the one to take this, not you. I could have lost you.” Another tear slid down.

“Andrew, you didn't. I'm still here to fight another day. I made the choice not you. You couldn't have stopped it. This is my job. I chose this life.” I told him.

“Kat, let me change your life.” His violet eyes pleaded to me.

“I can't. I love my job. I wanted to talk to you about all of this. I don't know if this is the best time, Andrew.” I didn't even know what to say to him.

“You are right. I'm sorry. Did you find out anything else about this 'Master' person?” He changed the subject.

“He wants to rule the world. The Valley is the first step. Whatever is in my blood is a marker that marks those that would be able to stop him. You and I are the most likely to do it. John is corruptible. Ugh...” A wave of pain shot through me.

“Are you okay?” He was at my side.

“Yeah. It just hurts.” Something was nagging at my thoughts.

“Hmm, perhaps we need to see where John and you differ. If you are the one that can break this person and John can be switched to their side, there must be some serious difference...” He looked off into the distance.

“Yeah, he's a dude and I'm a chick.” I snorted.

“Believe me, I am very aware of that difference.” He winked at me.

My cheeks burned as I blushed. My stomach twisted with butterflies. I felt like I was back in high school.

“Master Andrew, the healers are here to tend to Agent Purrowells.” An intern poked their head in.

“I will remain in the room.” He responded.

“Sir, there will be blood...” I could see the poor kid swallow.

“I will stay.” He insisted.

“You don't have to, if it will be too hard. I understand, Andrew.” I tried to smiled at him.

“I will remain at your side, Kat. It will not be too difficult.” He went and stood at the foot of the bed, allowing room for the healers to get to me.

The door opened with a startling bang.

“This is not heard of, Andrew. You're a freaking vampire. They're going to have to cut her...” John stormed in.

“John Black! You'll not talk like to him. I'm fine with him staying. You, however, are seriously upsetting me.” I shot him a death look.

John's face turned a bright red. I had never seen him look so upset. He stormed out of the room.

“Is this Agent Purrowells room?” A familiar voice asked.

“Hey, Agent Konkoers. Come on in.” I called out to him.

“Clearly, no one read my recommendations for your healing process.” He chuckled.

“I didn't get it yet. Next time, make sure your express send it.” I laughed and then winced with pain.

“I'm sorry. I shouldn't crack jokes with you right now. I'll make sure you smile and laugh once we've got you back together. Master Andrew, are you well enough to stay present during our healing process?” There was no anger or accusation, just a simple question.

“Yes.”

“Good, then it will not be brought up again. Now, Kat, here's what we're going to do. Some of your skin is damaged beyond repair. We're going to have to cut it away, and heal the skin under it. You'll have a few scars, but nothing too noticeable. You'll still the beautiful little witch that we all know and love. All your internal injuries will be taken care of and I'll make sure that those ribs get fixed again. You're going to be put under. I'll bring you back to us once we're done. But it will be hours.” He told me.

“Will... I... really look the... same?” I don't know why, but it mattered to me.

“Yes. Now sleep, Kat.” I felt very tired all of a sudden.

The last thing I saw was Andrew standing as a sentry over my bed, and then I was out.