Chapter Twenty-Four

“Kat!” Andrew's voice was there beside long before the team got there.

“How did I know you'd show up?” I sounded tired.

“What happened?” He knelt in front of me.

“Oh, you know, the usual.” My eyes shone with tears as I looked up at him.

“Are you hurt?” His hands patted me gently, as though I might break.

“Couple of cracked ribs, I think... and I'm covered in dead vampire.” I sneered.

“Who was it?” He sniffed at me.

“I dunno know.” I shrugged and oh, man did it fucking hurt.

“Try not to move. I can heal it for you. The vampire that attacked you was a rouge that came from Selena. He has been working for her on and off for some time. Did he say anything?” His eyes burned a bright purple.

“Nothing of use. I don't want your blood. So Selena has it out for me?” It somehow didn't surprise me.

“She's just jealous. For hundreds of years, I have showed no interest in anyone and now there is you.” It was completely matter-of-fact.

“Oh, of course, I forgot we were dealing with the crazy Master vampire that is also your maker. Duh, what was I thinking?” I boinked the side of my head.

“I know that it sounds strange to you, but it's fairly common. You don't know how the upper workings of a Maker's relationship goes. Be thankful for that, Kat, be very thankful.” He looked up, “you're team is here.”

“You don't have to stay.” I didn't include that I hoped he'd stay.

“I am not going anywhere.” He sat next to me.

I reached out and took his hand, my way of saying thanks.

“Agent Purrowells?” A female voice called out.

“Up here.” I called down from the tower.

“I'm the med-tech for the night, I'm coming up.” She said.

I watched as a werewolf woman walked up the ramp. Her hair was fiery red and she was slim. She smiled at me. Her face was gentle and kind.

“First call we've gotten from you, Agent Purrowells. You don't usually get this close to the front.” She said as a way of intro.

“Yeah. I guess this case just hit too close to home to sit on the sidelines.” It was the truth.

“I'm Brianna, by the way.” She said as she pulled out her scanner.

“Nice to meet you, Brianna. Please call me, Kat, and this is Andrew.” Even with all the pain I was in, I had to keep my manners.

“Nice to meet you, Andrew. The scan will take a minute, Kat.” Her voice was reassuring.

“Okay, thanks.” I smiled at her.

It felt like something was finally normal, as weird and twisted as that was. Having my body scanned for internal injuries was the thing that finally brought me back to the moment. I felt my anger leave.

“You've calmed down.” He whispered in my ear.

I nodded.

“Good, I think we need to talk.”

“Later.” I replied, I did not want to air whatever he needed to talk about with work people around.

“As you wish.”