Chapter 21

Here we go…so if you're wondering who she's gonna end up with, I don't know. I find the whole thing completely awkward, two best friends and a girl but the story just sort of headed in this direction. Thank you guys for sticking it out even though I am the absolute worst at updating! Xx

Chapter 21

§  Sierra's P.O.V  §

I watched in amusement as James basically ran back to out booth, wondering just what the hell that had been about. Mason cleared his throat behind me and I turned around to find him running his hand through his hair in what I knew to be a nervous gesture and my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Why was he suddenly nervous? Should I be nervous? This was the first time that we'd been alone together since our last very awkward and very painful encounter. I'd told James about it and he'd looked very pained, making it clear that every one but Mason had known about my crush on him except for himself. Thankfully I was well and truly over it now. Looking him over, he looked a whole lot better than he'd done when he'd shown up unannounced. He'd shaved an clearly gotten enough sleep, he also didn't look as upset as he had before but he still didn't look like he was happy. Mason never looked like he was completely happy, whenever he was happy it was cautious as if he were afraid it was going to be ripped away from him at any second which was probably why I'd felt so compelled to help him loosen up. Mason said nothing while I studied him and after what seemed like an eternity, he put his hands in his pockets and cleared his throat, signaling that he was finally about to speak.

"I know that I seem to be doing a lot of apologizing lately but it's only because I keep messing up. I'm sorry about the other night, I shouldn't have just shown up like that and I'm sorry I shut you out. I know I hurt your feelings and that's the last thing I ever want to do but I'm just not ready to talk about my family. It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that my home life is complicated. I know I've been an ass but I hope we're still friends?" he blurted out in a rush.

I looked at him for a minute, stunned. His long confession hadn't been what I'd expecting although, to be honest, I don't know what I'd been expecting. I felt happiness grow through me as I processed what he'd said. I smiled at him before pulling him into a hug.

"It's okay, we're definitely still friends after all who else besides me and James is gonna put up with you?" I teased.

I felt his chest vibrate as he chuckled and I laughed a little too before pulling back from him. He was looking down at me with a smile on his face and he'd just opened his mouth to say something when I felt an arm drop over my shoulders.

"Did you miss me daaahlings?" James drawled in a southern accent.

"Oh honey! I was almost wild with missing you!" I cried in despair in my own southern accent.

Mason chuckled at our exchange, "What just happened?" he asked.

"Why, I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about sir" I responded and batted my eyelids flirtatiously.

"If you'll excuse us fine sir, we have a dinner to be getting to" James cut in before tipping his imaginary hat and pulling me towards to door.

I turned my head towards Mason and blew him a kiss, "Goodbye fine sir, I do hope that we meet again!" I called.

James chuckled at my goodbye and bumped his hip against mine.

"So any idea what this dinner is about?" he asked in his normal voice as we approached his car.

I shrugged, "Nope, she just called and said it would be her pleasure to have me over tonight also your dad is back today."

A smile lit up his face, "That's right! I can't wait for you to meet him."