Chapter 29

A/N: Hello! I'm well aware the next chapter is pure fluff.  I'm working on the next, much more substantial chapter as we speak.  So hopefully I will have that by tonight or tomorrow.  Hope you still enjoy this next chapter.  Thank you to all the wonderful people here on wattpad who have been so kind and generous.  Also,big thanks to my girl bluebell84 for the saucy new cover! And thanks again to katnisseverqxeen for the lovely beach cover she made me as well!

      Emie couldn’t move.  She stood, shocked, in the middle of the pathway for quite some time.  What had just happened?  Tom’s words echoed in her head.  He wanted her.  He wanted to be with her.  She had known this was true, had seen it in the way he looked at her and spoke to her.  But now…what exactly was he asking of her? He wanted her word.  He wanted her commitment.  He wanted something serious.  Something she was sure she knew how to give.
       Emie felt hot tears roll down her face, and she brushed them away quickly as she turned and hurried down the walkway toward her room.  Once inside, she tore off her ruined dress, leaving it in a pile on the floor.  She paced around the room, not sure what to do.  How could she go face him now? What would she say?  Emie went to the bathroom and splashed water on her face, hoping her eyes didn’t completely give away how upset she was.  She needed to get through this wedding.  She needed to get through the next week.  She suddenly wondered if perhaps she should leave early, right after the wedding.  It would be much easier.  Much easier to just leave than to face the hardest decision of her life.
       Her mind went back to those paparazzi photos.  How violated she felt knowing that someone had captured such a private moment.  It was one thing to have a picture taken when you were well aware of the cameras.  But what had happened in the airport had been private.  Or so she’d thought.  She thought about Tom’s work schedule and his almost vagrant lifestyle.  All these things added up in her head and made her so confused.  So confused because then she would think about Tom.  When she could focus enough and center in on just him, her heart ached.  He was the sweetest man she’d ever met.  He made her laugh.  He made her feel happy and lighthearted.  He took care of her.  And he accepted her for who she was—bumbling, graceless, lost and somewhat broken.
       Emie felt her face burn, her breathing get shallow.  He accepted her so easily.  He wanted her, just her.  She felt shameful and embarrassed, because she could not accept him.  As much as she wanted to.  It wasn’t fair to him.  She wanted Tom, but she wasn’t sure she could overlook his life, his job.  She’d hung onto this ideal for so long.  Letting it go wasn’t something as easy as flipping a switch.  
       Emie slid to the floor, her back against the sink cabinet.  She pulled her knees to her chest, buried her face in her legs and wept.  

       Half an hour later, Emie stepped into Lucia and Chris’ bungalow.  She’d taken the walk to the bungalows slowly, letting her face cool off in the night air. When she opened the door to the room, she didn’t see them but she could hear them.  She followed the rather loud talking out toward the deck.  She was surprised to find quite a few people congregated on the small deck.
       “Christopher, you’re marrying me tomorrow! We’re getting married because we are in love!” Lucia was slurring her words slightly.   She was draped over Chris’ lap, her arms wrapped around his neck.
       “Easy, girly.  You don’t want to be hung over tomorrow.” Chris laughed good naturedly as he always was.  Emie took a step out onto the deck, carefully and quietly.  She took in the scene before her before moving.  Chris sat on a lounger, with Lucia in his lap.  Maggie was leaning against the railing talking to a woman that Emie recognized as one of Lucia’s friends who had come for the wedding.  She had never caught her name.  Emie turned her head, and saw a group of three people standing at the far side of the deck.  Chris’ father, Craig, Tom and…Vicky.  Emie froze, still unnoticed by the group.  She watched Tom and Vicky interacting.  Vicky was animated, laughing and touching Tom’s arm.  Tom was noticeably subdued, and looked about a million miles away.  As if on cue, Tom’s eyes moved across the deck and locked on Emie.  She stood still, just watching him.  
       Tom kept eye contact with her, murmured something to Vicky and Craig and then quickly began making his way toward Emie.  Emie could see the shocked, annoyed look on Vicky’s face as she watched Tom leave the conversation.  Emie felt her stomach clench. She wrapped her arms around her middle, wondering if she could just disappear inside of herself if she squeezed hard enough.
       After she’d washed her face and cleaned up a bit in her room, Emie had changed into a comfortable pair of worn jeans and a plain black tank top.  She pulled her hair back into a quick bun, and hadn’t bothered with make up.  Sometimes she didn’t feel like herself when she got all dolled up.  It was fun to play the part, but Emie was much more low maintenance than what Lucia’s lifestyle often called for.  In any event, she didn’t feel like ruining another expensive outfit when she knew she’d most likely do something terrible to it.
       “Are you alright?” Tom made a beeline for her, speaking quietly.  He hadn’t broken eye contact with her yet.  Emie nodded.
       “I just needed to change.” She said softly.  
       “Can we talk?” He asked, setting a practically full bottle of beer on a nearby table.  Emie didn’t say anything, but simply nodded and took his hand.  His hand was warm, solid and enveloped hers.  He turned to lead her back into the bungalow, when Emie felt a hard yank on her arm.
       “Emie! You changed!” Lucia giggled.  Emie bit back a groan. “Never change, Emie.  Always be yourself.” Lucia was laughing hard now.  Emie felt Tom’s fingers slip through hers as Lucia wrapped her arms around her.  Emie wanted to shake off her sister and leave but she knew how Lucia got when she was drunk.  She was a blast, but always just on the edge of turning things into hysterics.  Emie knew if she left now, Lucia would most likely have a tantrum.
       “Luce, can I go have a chat with Tom? Then I’ll be right back?” Emie had to try.  She looked at her sister, her eyes pleading.  Tom had paused at the door, watching them.
       “With who? Tom!?” Lucia asked, still laughing.  She wrapped her arms sloppily around Emie’s neck, rocking back and forth in some kind of dance only she could hear the music to.  Emie looked at Tom and rolled her eyes.  He smiled, waiting patiently.
       “Yes, with Tom.” Emie said softly.  
       “Let’s all have a chat with Tommy boy.” Lucia grinned, pulling back and pinching Emie’s cheeks.  She felt her temper flare slightly, and took a deep breath.
       “I’ll be right back, Luce.” Emie gently tried to pry herself from her sister’s arms.  
       “I’ll go with you.” Lucia said, rushing forward and grabbing both Emie’s hand and Tom’s hand and taking them into the bungalow.  Emie pressed her lips together, stumbling along as Lucia yanked them into the sitting room.  Lucia grabbed Emie by the shoulders and sat her on the sofa, then did the same to Tom, who mercifully sat without so much as a blink.
       “Lucia…” Emie’s voice was a warning, but Lucia was not in any state to get subtle hints.  Tom didn’t say or do anything.  He looked to be in a bit of shock, if she were to try to describe his face.
       “Tom, we’ve known each other for a few years now, but I don’t feel like I really know you.” Lucia grinned, sitting on the coffee table to face them.  Tom chuckled softly.
       “You’re right, we aren’t particularly close.” Tom said gently.
       “So, we should get to know each other now that you are trying to sleep with my sister.” Lucia stated.  Tom was silent in shock again, and Emie smacked Lucia on the thigh.
       “Shut up, Luce.  We’re leaving.” Emie made a move to get up, but Lucia laughed and grabbed her.
       “Tom, let’s talk girlfriends. Who was your last serious girlfriend?” Lucia tilted her head.
       “Lucia, stop.” Emie yanked her arm away from Lucia. They were locked in this weird battle of slapping and pulling, and Emie knew she was going to lose.  Lucia was small, but she was strong.  So was Emie, but after a lifetime of doing this, she knew she would lose. Tom sat back on the couch, sighing and pinching the bridge of his nose.
       “Just let me ask 20 questions and then you can leave.” Lucia bargained.  Tom’s eyes widened and he laughed loudly.
       “5 questions.” He shook his head.
       “As if,” Lucia scoffed.  “15.”  Emie groaned.  Lucia was definitely drunk.  Her inner valley girl would often come out when she was drunk, and she’d revert to her 16 year old self, watching the movie Clueless in their parent’s trailer on a set somewhere.
       “3…” He narrowed his eyes.  Lucia grinned.
       “10.”
       “5.”
       “Deal.” Lucia held out her hand and shook Tom’s.  Tom rolled his eyes, but he was grinning.
       “No, we’re not doing this.” Emie shook her head angrily.
       “It’s alright.” He shrugged.  Emie groaned and Lucia laughed, clapping her hands a bit like a seal.  
       “Ok, it’ll be fast.  Relax, Emie. This is for you anyway.” Lucia crossed her legs.  “So, who was your last serious girlfriend?” Lucia leaned forward, looking intensely interested at Tom.  He raised an eyebrow.
       “You know her, Luce.  Anne Green.” He said simply.  Lucia gasped and then nodded simply, as if remembering something.
       “Oh, I knew that already.” She said, disappointed.
       “Still counts as one.” Tom grinned.  Emie crossed her arms over her chest.  Tom had told her about Anne the night they had spent together on the boat.
       “How many times have you been in love?” Lucia asked.  Tom groaned, looking slightly in pain.
       “Going right for the jugular.” He said softly.
       “Answer.” Lucia demanded, then took a sip of a beer she had in her hand that seemed to have materialized out of nowhere.  Emie bit her lip, trying desperately not to show just how interested she was in his answer.
       “Twice.” He said after a beat.  Lucia nodded, making a face as if that were a suitable number.
       “How many women have you had?” Lucia giggled then, as if a mastermind villain who had just beaten her opponent.  Tom sat back, glancing at Emie out of the corner of his eye.  She didn’t look at him, but she could feel his eyes on her.
       “Nope. Not answering that.  I get one pass and that’s it.” He said sternly.  Lucia puffed out her cheeks and groaned.  Emie let out a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding.  
       “You’re no fun.  It’s either scandalously high or criminally low.” She guessed, pursing her lips.  Tom laughed, shaking his head.
       “Or, I just don’t kiss and tell.” He shrugged.
       “I’m not talking about kissing, Thomas.” Lucia wiggled an eyebrow at him and Tom chuckled.  
        “Do you want kids?” Lucia asked, tilting back and leaning on her arms.  Emie was about to warn her about falling off the coffee table, but then she stopped herself.  
       “Yes.” Tom nodded.  He didn’t elaborate.
       “Do you want kids with my sister?” Lucia grinned, all teeth.
       “LUCIA.” Emie shot straight up.  Tom hardly seemed phased.  He pressed a hand over his mouth, laughing softly.  
       “This is over.  We’re going.” Emie stood up angrily.
       “Emie, Emeline, don’t leave.” Lucia laughed, standing up from the coffee table and grabbing Emie’s hands.  If Lucia only knew.  If she only knew how much it hurt Emie to hear her ask those questions.  She both hated and loved her sister in the same instance and it was painful.
       “Lucia, what are you doing?” Chris walked into the room, eyeing his fiancé.  Lucia laughed and stumbled over to Chris, jumping on him sloppily like some kind of tiny monkey.  
       “Interrogating.” Lucia said, sighing as she pressed her head against Chris’ broad chest.  Chris sighed.
       “Sorry, guys.” He shook his head. “Let’s go to bed, Lucia.” He said, moving to carry Lucia toward their bedroom. Lucia twisted in his arms, yelling suddenly.
       “No!! No, we can’t spend the night together! Not on the night before our wedding!  You know that!! I’m staying with Emie tonight!” Lucia started yelling, managing to untangle herself from Chris’ hold and landing on her feet on the ground.  Emie wanted to scream.  She’s forgotten that a few days ago, she had told Lucia that she could stay with her that night.
       “Emie, are you ready for bed?” Chris asked, watching Lucia stumble around the room and grab things to throw into a bag.  Emie took a half step forward, glancing from Tom to her drunk, ridiculous sister.
       “Go.  We’ll talk later.” Tom nodded his head toward Lucia, and crossed his arms over his lean chest.  Emie bit her lip.  If there were ever a time to throw a complete tantrum and meltdown, it was now.  She just wanted a few quiet, private moments alone with Tom.  But that was proving nearly impossible.  
       Chris walked over and helped Lucia throw her pajamas and overnight things into her bag.  
       Emie walked over to Tom, leaned up on her tip toes and kissed him gently on the cheek.  He grabbed her hand, holding it in his, his ocean blue eyes searching hers, looking for answers that Emie wasn’t sure were there yet.
       “I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said softly.  
       “Tomorrow.” He nodded in agreement.  Lucia ran over, wrapping her arms around Emie again.  Emie groaned under the weight of her sister, wrapped her arm around her slim waist and dragged her toward the door.