Chapter 6

Emie woke up the next morning, feeling refreshed.  She had needed the good night’s sleep.  She felt a bit of gnawing guilt from blowing Tom off, but she knew it was for the best.  She was sure whatever he wanted to plan for Chris and Lucia would be perfect.  Maybe she’d call him later and let him run his ideas by her.  There was no need for them to meet in person.  Face to face.  Body to body.  No, not body to body. 
       She changed quickly into her running clothes, pulling on leggings and a sports bra.  She slipped a lightweight hoodie on, and her running shoes.  Plugged into her iPod, she almost immediately felt the heady buzz that exercise always gave her.  She wasn’t as obsessive about it as most women in LA, but she used it mostly to help manage stress.
       Stepping out of her apartment building, she took a deep breath.  The morning air was still crisp and cool.  October in LA wasn’t quite the iconic autumn on the East Coast, but it was nice.  She immediately took off on her usual route, up and around her neighborhood and then into the trails in a nearby park. 
       She felt good.  She felt strong, and in control.  She needed this after the last 48 hours, where she had blubbered through quite a few mishaps.  She made her way through the park, many of the pathways unpaved and surrounded by trees.  It was beautiful.  The song on her iPod started picking up and she ran a bit harder, working up a sweat and breathing a bit harder.  She turned round a bend in the road, and then before she could take a second to think, she felt her foot hit something and she went flying through the air.
       Emie landed with a loud thud on the packed earth.  She felt the wind get knocked out of her as she lay flat on her side, a jumble of arms and legs.  One earbud flew out of her ear.  The beat of the song playing tin-y through the morning air.
       “Oh my god.” She groaned when she finally caught her breath.  She sat up slowly, looking at the damage.  She had hit a large tree root, and had landed on quite another large tree root.  Her front was covered in dust and dirt and her knees were nicely scuffed and bleeding a bit.
       “Shit!” Emie heard a voice from behind her, and then feet running toward her.  Great, just what she needed.  Some random stranger witnessing her embarrassment.  She looked up.
       It wasn’t a random stranger. Not quite.
       “Emie!” Tom ran over, kneeling down beside her.  He looked surprised to see her.  She blinked. 
       “Oh god.” She mumbled, looking at her dirt covered self.  Her palms were bleeding only a tiny bit, but her knees were quite scraped up.
       “Are you alright? What happened?” Tom asked.  She took him in, his brow furrowed, his ocean eyes concerned.  He was wearing a hooded sweatshirt, running pants and trainers.  He reached for her, one hand on her shoulder.
       “I am. I just fell.  Rather hard.” She winced as she tried to stand.
       “Can you stand?” He asked quietly, one hand under her elbow now, surprisingly strong and firm.  She let him help her up, wincing as she did.  She was going to have some pretty spectacular bruises.
       “Thank you.” She said a bit shakily.  Tom nodded, watching her.
       “You need to get cleaned up.” He said.  She looked down, knowing she looked terrible.
       “What are you doing out here?” She asked, looking up and meeting his gaze.  His short hair was a bit curlier than she remembered.  A dark, dirty blond with a hint of ginger.   He seemed to loom over her.  She remembered how tall he was. How much room he seemed to take up, though he didn’t have a huge build.  He was quite fit though.
       “I suppose the same as you, minus the falling.” He said, with a quick, gentle smile.  Emie grinned, despite herself.
       “You must think I’m ridiculous.” She sighed, slowly bending her arms and legs to see what hurt.
       “No.  I do have a sneaking suspicion you are pissed most of the time, though.” He said with a quick laugh, his eyes glowing.  She laughed loudly, surprising herself.
       “Pissed as in drunk?”She asked.  Tom tilted his head down, slightly smiling as he looked away.
       “Yes.”
       “I swear to you, I’m completely sober.  Just a bit of a klutz.” She sighed. 
       “I suppose I believe you.” He crossed his arms over his broad chest, his stance wide.  He watched her then, as if he were thinking hard about something.  She shifted slightly.  “How is your cat?”He asked, slowly, enunciating each word.  She suddenly remembered the lie from yesterday.  It fell like a heavy rock in her stomach. 
       “Marius?” She managed.
       “Hah!” Tom chuckled, throwing his head back.  “What a tragic name for a tragic cat.”
       “He’s fine.” Emie nodded. She sighed.  “He’s fine actually.  I lied.” She managed.  Tom raised an eyebrow, his mouth turning down slightly.
       “Did you now?” He looked amused, not angry. 
       “I’m sorry.  I just…you caught me off guard.” She said softly, looking away.  Tom shifted now, still watching her with those intense eyes. 
       “I didn’t mean to.” He said simply.  “Do I make you uncomfortable?” He asked then, his voice filled with concern.  Emie looked up at him, alarmed.
       “No! Not at all.” She said feverishly.  Then she hesitated.  “It’s just that you…are really tall.” She managed.  Tom laughed again.  She could listen to him laugh all day.  The sides of his eyes crinkled, and his whole body seemed to react.  Her whole body was definitely reacting.
       “I’m sorry about that.  It’s these damn legs.” He said, kicking out one of his eternally long, strong legs.  She looked away, swallowing.
       “I should get back.  I’m bleeding everywhere.” She said quickly, looking down at her knees.  Tom practically lurched forward.
       “I’m terribly sorry, I’m just chatting your ear off.  Let’s go.  I know a coffee shop only around the corner.  You can get cleaned up there and then I’ll buy you a coffee.” He suggested, taking her elbow gently.  Emie let him lead her, following him.  Her knees were stinging a bit, as well as her hands.
       The café really was only around the corner.  Much closer than her apartment. 
       “Morning, Tom.” The barista at the counter looked up as they walked into the small shop.  It was mostly deserted save for an older woman and a small child at one of the small tables.
       “Morning, Leam.  Do you happen to have a first aid kit? My friend here had a bit of a spill.” Tom walked toward the counter.  Leam looked at Emie, his eyes widening.  She had tried to brush off most of the dirt, but her shirt and leggings were still rather dusty. 
       “Yeah, sure.  Let me grab it.  You can use our employee bathroom.” Leam said, turning around and rummaging under the counter.
       “Are you alright?” Tom asked, turning back to Emie.
       “Yes,thankyou.  You must come here a lot.” She said, leaning against the counter and wincing.  She could already feel bruises forming on her hip and side.
       “My apartment is right around the corner.” He said.
       “Oh? I thought you didn’t really live anywhere.” She said absently.  Tom raised a quick eyebrow.
       “Who told you that?” He asked, intrigued.  She froze.  Whoops.
       “Um…the lovely lady on the television.” She said then, feeling another silently screaming shred of her dignity run away.
       “I see.” He said, a smile hinting at his mouth.
       “Here you are.” Leam walked over, handing them a red box.
       “Why don’t you go wash up in the bathroom and then we can put on these bandages?” Tom suggested.  Emie nodded, walking quickly toward a door just behind the front counter.  “Would you like a cuppa?” He asked, after her.
       “Yes, please.  Chai tea, please.” She said softly, and then disappeared into the bathroom. 
       Standing in front of the large mirror in the bathroom, she got the full extent of just how terrible she looked.  Her whole front was dusty brown.  Her knees bloodied.  Her hands scuffed.  Her blond hair a bit clay colored with dirt.  She shook her head and a small cloud puffed outward.  Emie groaned.  So much for being a majestical, athletic, svelte runner. 
       She grabbed some paper towels, turned on the water and began wiping her calves and hands down with warm water.  Once she’d removed all the dirt, she properly washed her hands and knees, wincing as she did.  She brushed herself off again, and then went back out into the shop. 
       She found Tom sitting at a little table, the red first aid kid and two cups sitting next to him.  He smiled when he saw her, standing up. 
       “Better?” He asked.  She nodded.  “Have a seat, please.” He gestured to the rather comfy looking chair. She sat down, sinking into the cushion.  No wonder he liked this place. 
       “Thanks.” She said.  Tom handed her one of the mugs on the table, which was filled with a frothy, light caramel colored tea.  His cup sat in front of his spot, the coffee inside a deep, rich black.
       “May I?” He asked, opening up the first aid kid.  She took a small sip of her tea, relishing the sweet cinnamon spice.  She nodded.
       “Um, sure.” She nodded, not quite sure what he had planned.  He pulled out some wipes and bandages.
       He knelt in front of her, and Emie suddenly felt a bit like passing out.  She couldn’t remember the last time she had a gorgeous man kneeling down in front of her.  She wished she weren’t still slightly grimy and sporting unwashed hair.
       “It may sting a bit.” He warned, looking up at her from knee level.  She nodded, not speaking and silently praising herself for shaving her legs recently.  He opened an antiseptic wipe and she felt Tom’s hand slip gently behind her calf.  “Steady.” He said softly, then dabbed gently at her cuts.  She winced, pulling back only slightly.  But then she felt the slow, long stroke of his hand on the back of her knee.  Her mind went a bit blank.
       “Alright?” He asked, looking up at her.  She nodded.  He leaned forward then, blowing lightly on her cuts.  She swallowed hard, watching him.  He looked up at her again, the corners of his mouth turning up slightly.
       “Thank you.” She said softly.  He nodded and then reached up.
       “Let me see your hands.” He asked.  She reached forward, giving him her hands, palms up.  “Poor thing.” He said absently, opening another wipe.  The scrapes on her hands were lighter, so it only stung a bit.  After cleaning her up, he applied a few large bandages to her knees.  They decided to leave her hands be.
       “Have you played a doctor in the movies before? You’re quite good at that.” She said a bit breathlessly, as Tom stood up, cleaning up the wrappers from the bandages.  He chuckled softly.
       “No, can’t say that I have.  But I’ll put it on my resume. ‘Exceptional at applying bandages.’” He grinned.  She blushed slightly, taking her mug in her hands and sipping.  Tom walked over to the trash can, and Emie watched as he did.  His body was long, lean and graceful without losing any masculinity.  He was powerful, but understated.  It made her mouth go a bit dry. The dating drought she had been experiencing also meant she hadn’t been intimate with anyone in longer than she cared to think about.
       She watched him pass a table with two young women sitting at it, and as he did, she noticed both girls go a bit starry eyed and start whispering to each other. 
       “Thank you for the tea.” Emie said as Tom came back to the table.  He nodded, sitting down and taking his coffee.
       “My pleasure, Em.” He said softly. 
       “How do you take your coffee?” She asked, suddenly wanting to know such a mundane detail.   He took a drink and smiled.
       “Black.”
       She nodded.
       “How do you take yours?” He asked.
       “I drink more tea than coffee. But when I do…lots of sugar and milk.” She admitted.  He smiled.
       “I was wondering—“ Tom started, sitting forward slightly.  Just then, one of the women sitting at the table near them let out a little shriek of delight.  Emie looked up, watching as both women stood up and started making their way toward Tom and Emie.
       “Oh my.” Emie said under her breath.  She was used to fans.  Her sister was stopped quite often.  Usually it was fine, but Emie had to admit that sometimes it made her a bit uncomfortable.  Some of them could be quite aggressive.
       Tom looked up, catching the eye of one of the women.  She took that as an invitation, and walked up to the table, pushing short brown hair from her eyes.
       “Tom?!” Her voice was a bit hysterical.  Tom smiled.
       “Hello.” He said rather graciously.  Both women broke into platitudes about how great he was, interspersed with “Oh my god, oh my god’s”.  Tom reacted quite nicely, chatting with them and signing slips of paper they pulled from their purses.  Emie watched, quietly sipping her tea.  The women turned away for a second, digging through their bags for their phones.
       “I’m sorry.” Tom looked at Emie, whispering under his breath.  She smiled and shrugged.
       “It’s fine.” She assured him.  Tom reached across the table, for just a moment and squeezed her hand.  Just then, the women turned around, and asked Tom for a picture. 
       “Absolutely.” Tom agreed, standing up.
       “Could she take it?” One of the women asked, pointing at Emie.  Emie was surprised they even noticed she was sitting there.  Tom took the phone and smiled.
       “Let’s just do a selfie, shall we?” He said with a chuckle, and both women squealed.  Just as they snapped a few photos, both women chattering loudly, a few more people came into the café.  As if flies to a shiny button, they practically flocked toward where Tom and Emie were sitting. Emie wasn’t sure where they were all coming from.  It was as if someone had sent out word that Tom was here.
       Emie sat up straight now, watching.  There were six or seven people standing nearby, watching and waiting to talk to Tom. 
       “Hmmm.” Tom looked over his shoulder at Emie, raising an eyebrow.  Emie stood then, wondering if it were perhaps time for them to leave.
       “Can we have an autograph, Tom?” A woman asked.  Just then, a bright flash went off, momentarily blinding both Emie and Tom.
       “Oh, hello.” Tom muttered under his breath, sounding a bit annoyed.  He looked at Emie, his eyes a little wider than normal.  “Paparazzi.” He nodded toward a man standing right outside the café windows, with a large, rather serious looking camera.  Emie winced.
       “I don’t…want to be in any photos.” She said softly, leaning up on tip toes to whisper into Tom’s ear.  Just as she did, there was another burst of light from a flash.  Tom nodded.
       “Sorry, guys.  It was nice to meet all of you, but we must run.” He said, taking Emie’s hand in his.  She knew it was a bad idea, but she let him. He led her quickly toward the café counter.  She saw another flash go off as they turned.
       “Leam, mate.  Do you have a back exit?” Tom said quickly.  Leam nodded, giving Tom a sympathetic look.
       “Tom!! Tom!!” A few people shouted.  Emie felt herself tense up slightly.  She wasn’t a big fan of crowds. Definitely not a big fan of angry mobs. 
       “TOM! Who is your friend? Is she your girlfriend?!!” The voice shouted.  More flashes.  Emie ducked her head, feeling suddenly like an animal in a tiny cage.  She felt Tom hold her hand tighter, pulling her almost into his side. Flash. Flash. Flash.
       “TOM! Who IS SHE?!” More yelling. 
       Great.  Emie wondered how long before her face would be all over the internet.  Her bloody bandaged knees and dirty running outfit.  Everyone speculating over whatever she was to Tom. 
       “Let’s go, Em.” He said into her ear, pulling her along.  Leam showed them through a door, and they were in a back storage room.  The noise suddenly dimmed, and Emie felt a bit relieved.
       “That escalated quickly.” She sighed.
       “Shit, I’m really sorry.” Tom said, running a hand through his hair.  “Normally, I can come here and it’s not a problem.” He said.  She shrugged.
       “It’s alright.”
       “You guys can leave through there.  It leads to a hallway.  If you go right out the first door, it’ll take you to the back loading dock.  If you go out the door at the top of the stairs, it’ll take you up to the side entrance of Nan’s Books.” Leam said, pointing to a door toward the back of the small room.
       “Thank you, Leam.” Tom nodded, giving him a pat on the shoulder.  “Excellent coffee, as always.  Sorry about the crowd.” Tom apologized.  Leam shrugged and nodded, then made his way back to the front of the café.